PKP Truck Products/Design Ideas and Feedback.

Yes, i more meant, what would be the “recommended” angle.
Like, lets say it was on a flat deck, zeroed as pictured. I actually imagine it wouldnt quite do nothing, like zeroing an rkp or tkp would.
Vs
At that same “zeroed” angle on a mountainboard deck that has 30° tails.
Vs
Adjusted/dewedged -30°

Just trying to gain a better frame of reference here. Id also like to know what would happen if you mounted the whole truck inverted, which i assume would mean that bit with a bearing was inside, not out, but i think i could infer that from the other question.

1 Like

use case, idk why asking me a question like that while making very crude models makes sense.

Modular adjustable truck man. That is what we are talking about.

should work any which way. the thing being so damn short means running it literally top mounted may work. Gotta have some big wheels to need that…

You were in my thoughts earlier, removing the SRB NKP small rods on the axle and attaching the steering constraints onto the base NKP rod thread itself is my best idea yet for making raising COG.

1 Like

hmm that part of the NKP rod end really does make sense to attach the guidance onto.

3 Likes

Been thinking about this feedback a lot, revealed to me that the one of the major Strong points of the SRB NKP is how the steering misalignment is prevented with a huge lever arm by having the small links spread out on the axle. The closer the guide pivot is brought into the center in my design especially with a compressible guide like 96a urethane pivots the more deviation as you said at 0 degree this being very bad.

I still want to try to make this ultra compact and adjustable truck using the SRB rod and axle but in order to overcome the issue just mentioned I think using two pivots and purposely misaligning them using shims to make as little slop as possible, basically using the pivot cups compression to get rid of slop from the steering guidance.

Still figuring out the best design for the parts that attach the extra pivot there, I want to avoid decreasing ground clearance at all, but throwing some bolts over the top to connect those guide bars is the best simple idea I got. Alway a tradeoff to make more complicated CNC parts for a possible cleaner looking/better design.

shims should go on the blue selection.
edit I realize now because the way the rod screws in that there was no way it was gonna be perfectly aligned anyways. With different bolt on pivot parts I could increase the distance to try to combat slop, but that would decrease ground clearance.

I suppose thinking about it that makes the pivot cups wear out faster and be treated as a consumable vs the reliability of rod ends for long term use, so this may still have major downsides of a design for speed if space is not hyper critical.

3 Likes

Quinn, this evolves very interesting.
Stooge Truck design 2.0 :smiley:
This is pretty good so far, needs to be ridden :handshake: :pray:
So nice from Stooge for giving you feed back as well, thats great.
All best wishes and march on with this project pls

1 Like

Since I didn’t arrive at a finished design or plans or any prototypes in this mess of ideas and feedback thread. It is now a general discussion of all designs related.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgoeNKHuMTY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Flipsky making new truck models.

There is two massive bushings and suspension and steering all happening.

Really interesting design to have arrived at.

@Flexboardz it’s like a quad version of your boards.

2 Likes

So it’s like… RKPKP? Curious how that feels to ride.

Not sure that’s achieving much.

The extra bushing is mostly in the same position that a set of bushings would normally be.
If you’d just put the kingpin there instead, that’d probably just simplify things.

3 Likes

Is the new Flipsky design just a gimmick?

I did have an a couple ideas that may actually improve the performance of PKP trucks. In one of the TKP threads, someone put a ball joint thing into the hole on the truck hanger. Basically eliminating all slop. I wonder how TKPs would feel if that same ball joint thing was applied to both king pins?

Another one is to add urethane donuts into the holes of the hangers to take up the open space between the king pin and truck hanger. I love these things on DKP trucks!

2 Likes

I couldn’t specifically remember someone replacing a urethane pivot cup with a spherical bearing, but of course it’s been fine.

This is a new don’t trip product.

1 Like

PKP done right!

2 Likes

Does this imply a bushing-less design? Or at least no Thane bushings?

This is the E-toxx design. It uses urethane bushings. Those bearing things prevent the truck hanger from rotating on a horizontal plane. Other designs that don’t have this feature tend to have some play and make for sloppy handling on the road.

4 Likes

One of the things I wanted to see in my PKP designs is getting the bushing seat/contact to pivot center distance the same as Valks, with the optional spherical pivots.

its a bit of a mishmash idea.

1 Like

Just curious. Out of all these designs you speak of, what have you ridden? Are those Etoxx stealth trucks yours?

3 Likes

Yeah it doesn’t seem very well founded to me either lol