PID Control noise

Running PID Control, and it’s making this weird almost like skipping noise(kinda like the noise you would hear when a belt skips teeth). Noise occurs on initial acceleration then fades. Noise only occurs on PID Control, not on Current Control or Duty Cycle.

Using Hall Sensors for FOC.

Need it to be PID Control for project.

Anyone have ideas? I have a feeling its something that needs tuning but not sure what. Ran Motor Wizard so that aspect is pretty good, but havent messed with PID settings.

Is it only when starting from a stop?

Probably cogging if you’re not using sensors or HFI.

wouldnt cogging occur regardless of swapping the control modes? It runs buttery smooth no noise retrieving data from hall sensors, when the motor is controlled via duty or current control.

Is this without load?

1 Like

I meant to say “if” not “because”. Also didn’t see you were using sensors.

Do you have a video of the cogging noise?

also this

What is the reason for this? It it specified in rules somewhere, or is there a technical reason?

Tested with load

Been doing some more testing with the PID Control

Setting the filter to 0 (which according to VESC Tool is Max) greatly reduced the noise.

Did make an observation when the noise occurs. Seems to appear in two types of instances:

1. When there is greater than normal (x-axis) distance on the PID Pos Curve.

2. When the PID Pos Curve doesn’t deviate roughly more than 50° (y-axis)

Here is a control graph of when it didn’t make any noise.

Still new to PID Tuning so not sure what’s causing it, but have a good feeling it’s by adjusting values in the PID control tab within motor settings.

technical reason

That technical reason is where I would focus my attention. Figure out how to not need to use PID control mode. If you could use duty cycle control you might find better results.