Parasitic current draw of various ESCs and accessories

Ever wonder if leaving your ESC on will drain your battery in a short amount of time? What about turning the ESC off? Is there still a risk? Does it depend on the ESC?

Well, I measured a bunch of ESCs to try to add some real numbers to these questions.

Types of switches

ESCs aren’t easy to turn on and off. The capacitors along with high currents during use means a regular switch won’t last. There are three major approaches that designers take to turn an ESC on and off:

Mosfet based “anti-spark” switch

This is built into the ESC, and consists of a bunch of mosfets along with a mosfet driver to turn them on and off based on the input of a momentary or latching external button/switch. Since it turns off the power right at the source, it should pull little to no current when powered off.

Buck based switches

There are different approaches to this, but the idea is that most buck converter ICs have an “enable” pin. Pulling this low means you can turn off the buck and thus everything behind it. The battery voltage needs to be converted to lower voltages to run 3 main systems on any ESC. ~10-12v to turn on the mosfet gates, 5v for accessories and some chips, and 3.3v for the STM32 and other chips. This is usually converted one after another (battery → 12v → 5v → 3.3v). It’s not easy to get clean power from 48v-3.3v, but much easier to go from 5v to 3.3v. So if a design only turns off the 3.3v buck, then the 12v and 5v bucks will still be active and powering whatever is behind them.

Even with the buck turned off, the capacitors are still connected to the battery terminal which means there will still be a spark on the first plug in. There is also some current drawn from the battery due to the capacitors self-discharging.

None - external loop key

Since the XT90s can handle the current, building in a loop key, especially one with a built in pre-charge resistor, will ensure that the ESC is fully turned off whenever unplugged. No extra electronics in the ESC are required and this method is fairly reliable. Depending on the location of the loop key, other devices like buck converters for LED lights or BMSs might still be powered on.

Testing setup

A loop key adapter was placed in between the power supply and the ESC. Then a multimeter in current mode was attached to the two open pins where a loopkey normally goes. Current was measured both off and on at a fixed 48v

Power draw

The mosfet based ESCs did very well when turned off. 6.2 MICRO amps is virtually nothing and represents about 0.0003 watts at 48v.

The buck based ESCs had some mixed results.
The SKP Solo was higher but still did pretty well.

The MakerX D60 is somewhere in the middle with a pretty reasonable draw of 0.65 mA when powered off.

The Uboxes were pretty bad. 1.5-3 mA when powered off. Also interesting about these ESCs, is the power draw gets worse the higher the battery voltage. At just over 16s equivalent, the Ubox V1 was drawing nearly 4.5 mA when fully powered off

Also I don’t know what’s going on with the iLogger, but that power draw is crazy for a small ESP32 based device.

Real world - what this means

First, if the ESC is left on, the power draw is significant enough that you shouldn’t leave it for more than a few days without checking it. A fully charged 12s4p P42A battery has 715 Wh at a 200mA discharge rate. Even best case scenario, that’s only about a month.

Note that this does not include accessories plugged in, BMSs, the self discharge of the cells themselves, or temperature.

How about when the ESC is off?

On the ESCs with mosfet based anti-sparks, you probably don’t have to worry about that being the cause of a battery failure. 20-200 years even at a low battery charge.

On ESCs with a buck switch, the Solo still does pretty well, needing 3 years if the battery is at 25% charge.

The Go-FOC D60 is a little worse. 8 months at 25% charge

The Uboxes though… 2-3 months at 25% charge.

More testing pictures

Expand

Accessories

Starting with the base of 17.36mA

iLogger

Metr Pro

Metr Pro Can

GT2B receiver

Mini remote receiver

32 Likes

Yeah it gets really hot for what it is, shocked me

6 Likes

Fantastic science! Solo hasn’t been around that long but I didn’t even think of doing this sort of testing, thank you for putting in this effort and sharing your results!!

11 Likes

One of the best information threads in years and very timely. Well done!

14 Likes

I knew it!

This is great testing @jaykup well done man.

12 Likes

Local LEGEND Jaykup coming in with the awesome test results! So cool!

If only you had the 100v ubox - these XLR deaths make complete sense now. If the 75v ubox can kill a 715wh battery in 100 days left at 50% charge, it is EASY to see how XLR’s die when their owners let them sit for 6-8 months like the two I’ve had personal contact with

11 Likes

#DataIsBeautiful

5 Likes

Are discreet antispark switches the MOSFET type or the buck type?

1 Like

Logically, I would think they’d be mosfet for the most part

The external ones you can buy? They are mosfet based ones, since the buck is on the ESC there really isn’t a way to control it like that.

But even those can be broken down into two varities.

High side switching, where it switches the positive battery lead. This is more complicated but better because everything stays grounded. It’s more expensive because you need a decent mosfet driver IC. It’s also harder to get right. The Unity had a lot of problems with this, but the Stormcores were much better.

Low side switching, where it switches the negative battery lead. This is simpler and cheaper. I’ve seen this built into two different Flipsky ESCs, and the problem is that they barely get a volt or two at the gate, when it should be 10+ volts above source. This means the mosfets don’t fully turn on, and have a higher resistance. They run fine at low battery currents, but burn up at high battery currents like when climbing a hill.

I have two different models I’ve been meaning to take a look at.

4 Likes

Your conclusions do not check out.

For one the 100v version is a v2, so we are looking at double your days.
The XLR should have ~3kwh, so even at 50% / storage our ref data is 1500wh.
All in all this would be two full years before reaching ~3v aka empty charge (not dead battery).

1 Like

Hm didn’t think about that part

Yeah I guess we would be looking at an additional drain source then to reach the same amount of time

He did mention the drain is worse the higher the voltage though, so it’s reasonable to think at 20s on the v2, it might be higher

2 Likes

I hope @jaykup gets his hands on a 100v version :slight_smile:

If anyone in the US wants to part with a 100v ubox for a week or two shoot me a PM and I’ll get it tested / included in the results.

I think it’s going to be similar. The logic board seems to be similar for both versions, but the power stage is different

3 Likes

Some additional results for a higher voltage battery. Even though this 16s battery has twice as many cells as the 12s battery, the time to discharge is the same because the Ubox pulls more current at higher voltages

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you know this, but for anyone else reading, part of why this testing was done is that the low voltage shutoff on the vesc is only for the power stage, aka driving the motor. There is nothing to prevent an idle vesc, on or off, from continuing to draw current until the battery is at 0v.

Things like the Robogotchi and rESCue are devices with sound alerts to let you know that the battery is too low after sitting for a while. Of course they have to be powered to work, and you have to be somewhat nearby to hear it.

3 Likes

the beta ubox 75v v2 had different logic boards but they switched to the red ones on the production models

1 Like

Yeah I am aware, what I do not know is how fast 3v drops to 0v for cells (aka how fast “empty” goes to dead).

1 Like

A LOT faster than full to 3v.

2 Likes

There is very little capacity for most cells between 3 and 0 and even less between 2.5 and 0. Maybe @Battery_Mooch can chime in on this

1 Like