Painting Motors

Hi everyone I have all my gear arriving for my build early next week. Running the Maytech 6374 sealed and wondering if anyone has had any luck painting/colouring their motor?

I really want to match it to my trucks (Satin Purple) and esc cover which I will also be painting.

Not sure if there will be issues with the paint in regards to insulation and heat retention but would appreciate some advice.

I’ve also thought of just shrink wrapping it but not sure if this will work.

If nobody has tried this before I’ll have a crack at it and see what I can come up with, if there is a tried and true method please let me know so I dont f*#k my brand new motor lol.

1 Like

Automotive heat resistant spray would be my guess. They make some metallic finishes that don’t look bad.

I doubt there would be any/enough actual metal in it to mess with the magnetism.

1 Like

People cover them up with reflective tape and all sorts, should be ok I think.

4 Likes

Yeah i was thinking the spray they use in the engine bay would work.

You can paint cans no drama and to be honest if the can is getting hot enough to need heat resistant paint then you are in a bit of trouble. Remove the cans to do the job though so make sure you get some good advice from someone that knows those particular motors because its sometimes not all that straightforward.

Heat resistant is still a good idea though

3 Likes

Its a sealed motor so I don’t think I will need to take it apart, just mask up the area I want to colour. If I do take it apart I will probably battle harden it just because I’ll be in there. I’ll see how it plays out.

Careful to with warranty issues and brand new motors. Good luck brother, let us know how you get it done.

2 Likes

Thanks man will do. I might do an old school barber shop design so it looks trippy as it turns.

5 Likes

Make the guy behind you on a group ride spin out lol

1 Like

Haha exactly hopefully I build it well enough to at least be in front of someone :rofl:

1 Like

Start of with some plasti dip. If u like it nice. If u don’t just remove it. And if ur cans get scratches just add a new layer on them.

And if ur motor get so warm to melt the plasti dip. Then u have

1 Like

I’ve wanted to try this with vinyl spirals! Please let me know how it goes. I want to be hypnotized

2 Likes

Following. I have the same motors and would like to battle harden… may paint cans while I’m at it… may not.

1 Like

Thinking Ill prime it white and then air brush the spirals on.

1 Like

You gonna set the motors to spin slowly and apply?

1 Like

nah will just mask it up, will come out way better.

1 Like

I remember @eBoosted painted some 6355 motors once on a vanguard build, maybe he could give you some pointers

1 Like

@eBoosted teach me sensei

1 Like

Disassemble your motor can, go to a body shop and ask them to paint it with car paint, it’s the best way to make as they know the car paint tricks, if the painter is your friend he may not charge you back, otherwise buy him a beer as the ammount of material used is neglegible

2 Likes

I work at a car dealership so this will be easy as haha

1 Like