Opininions on deck design

So we are working on 2 new decks right now and i wanted to ask you guys your opinions what you like and what you dont like.

The first board is a dropdown design made from 9 layers canadian maple and 1 reinforcement layer of carbon fiber, with lasered graphics and black background in the size 40" by 10"

The picture is a testboard which was still made by Maya decks for us but will be produced by an other boardshaper.

The second board is a 100% handmade deck by myself featuring a foam core with bamboo reinforcement and kevlar/carbon skinning. The deck will have a built in battery compartment big enough for 12S5P plus dual vescs.

This board will have an evolve style concave and stainless steel worked in for strength, also the battery will be accessible trough a lid that will be held in place with neodinium magnets ( calculated to have a pulling strength of 4kg).

Now i would love to hear opininons or stuff you would like to see incoorporated, criticism is also allowed offcourse :slight_smile:

I have been looking into neodinium combined with batteries and electronics but maybe some of you tried it before and have some tips regarding.

What?

The second board looks promising but it looks like its in its very early stages.

1 Like

Why is it necessary?

Also, for the first one, no matter what you do, make the carbon layer balanced, i.e. one top+one bottom. Or any other combination around the center plane.

Dani

Yes very early stage, but good things take time.

The question was if neodinium magnets would interfere with tge batterypack or vesc.

Good point on the carbon layer.

The stainless steel would be to make sure it doesnt break under alot of dynamic force.

I saw what happened to a foam core board when Pavel Garmas jumped on it, and wanting to avoid that.

People have been building skateboards for decades without steel.

Ditch the steel and go with carbon fiber.
While doing that you will: save weight, increase stiffness, and avoid adhesion problems.

Dani

2 Likes

It will be kevlar and carbon fiber, i wanted to work in the stainless in the foam to reinforce it, but yes the weight will significantly increase.

1 Like

I agree here, I think SS will just add unnecessary weight with little strength gains over carbon fiber - there is nothing wrong with having two carbon fiber reinforced decks!

I like the ideas of the second deck but like Moon mentioned, very early stages.

The advantages of foam seem to be increased flexibility and weight reduction. Both of which are not really required/desirable.

Weight of the deck is basically pointless when you strap 20x the weight in electronics to it.

Flexibility needs to be managed with esk8 but your steel would negate it. So I’m not sure what the plan is here?

What is the purpose of Kevlar?

Oh yeah… :joy:

Careful with where you place the CF within the board. You’ll need to test the receivers to make sure there is no interference.

Question about the bamboo deck. I’m assuming the SS is for strength, but bamboo is for flexibility. Are you trying to make a flexible deck or a stiff deck out of lighter material?

1 Like

I will assume you are talking about austenitic stainless steel. In that case it is not the ideal material for strength due to it’s low yield strength as well as the fact that is exhibits worse fatigue characteristics compared to carbon steel or other stainless steels.

2 Likes

Ok based o n the comments i will leave out the stainless steel, the answer to @dani is because of several things i want to work with kevlar, the first is that i dont want to create a board with carbon only since those are a sime in a dozen, the second reason is that carbon alone makes for a very stiff deck and kevlar is a bit more flexible in that regard (so yes would be negated by ss, so leaving that ou. Kevlar has a higher point strength then carbon aswell. Kevlar also has a higher bend coefficient making it flex or bend rather then carbon which just cracks/snaps and performs much better under torsion loads. The downside of carbon fibre is that it is brittle (has low fracture toughness). You can easily cut thin sheets or cloth with scissors. Carbon fiber cracks easilly particularly in cases where the force is quickly applied. Kevlar on the other hand, has a particularly high fracture toughness. It is much harder to crack, very difficult to cut cleanly even with very sharp scissors, and stands up well to impact loads. That’s why it is used for bullet-proof vests.

However the resin used to laminate these cloth’s is what can crack, the thicker the resin layer the easier it will crack, with the correct amount of resin both will remain pliable in torsion or compression, both will take about the same amount of shear as well, in a single lay up that is not much, there is no doubt that Kevlar cloth is the stronger of the two, but if not correctly laid up the extra strength will never be obtained, when and if the resin cracks its the skin of the resin at the top or bottom of the crack that will subject the cloth to a tension load by trying to flex this will put a tearing load onto the cloth, (imagine trying to open a door the wrong way) the carbon cloth will fail before kevlar, Kevlar has a much tighter weave and the strands are longer therefore it is able to spread the load over a greater area.

So correct layering and sealing are key.

Carbon also creates interference with radio signals which is better when using kevlar.

Man, I don’t want to discourage you…

1. Do find someone who knows about structures and working with composites.
  2. Please use punctuation…
  3. Good luck.

Marketing is important…Don’t know how “just because” works well with this forum.
It also absorbs moisture and a pita to work with…

Research this more (for you), composite materials are all about ratios, you can achive any of those with either.

Can’t count the amount of fractured carbon decks on the streets…

It’s incorrect to look at each one when talking about composite structure, the loads and stiffness are distributed among the layers. You won’t get a good design when looking at your components individually.

Good luck,
Dani

3 Likes

Will it be a full 10" wide as measured? That’s awesome. Really wide decks are hard to find.

1 Like

I actually do that, IMHO it’s the future. More people need that. Just don’t conduct electricity through your magnets that’s the best advice I can give you. Find your way around.

1 Like

Yes 10" wide as measured, we got asked for a wide deck by alot of people.

1 Like

Good to know you have used this technique.
I also feel it is the way to go.

1 Like