Onsra Challenger

Yeah could be, the Hobbywing ESC only draws 30A so maybe only bad at low voltages.

I would bet real-world range is 15 miles with cloud wheels

2 Likes

Exaggerated range claims are just par for the course at this point.
I like it better when they at least say the scenario (130lb rider @15mph avg.)

2 Likes

It would be nice to see a better battery in there, I think the last onsra was handicapped by that too. It does look really fun to ride, maybe the battery won’t be as much of an issue. He might have something good here. It’s probably fine dkp if it won’t go faster than 50kph but seems sketch. I find carving on the meepo trucks really nice at max speed but they would need a lot of tightening with the stock bushings.

50E*/G cells in 2P will be a ride to sag town…

The advertised 40A will be a stretch with those cells as well :thinking:

7 Likes

Glad someone made a thread on here, I watched Fabi’s 2 videos on this board and it looks like a really fun board to ride. The battery choice is a real let-down, but otherwise no complaints. Would be cool to buy the deck and enclosure separately for DIYing.

3 Likes
1 Like

Interesting so consensus is battery is def under specced. Curious what is the cost difference per board at his scale to have gone with 40t or anything more reasonable to not make it a sagfest?

Lunch money would pay the difference. Heck, the 40T might even cost less.

Perhaps they don’t know about voltage sag and delivered-Wh and how that can affect range? They saw the higher capacity spec for the 50E, its oft-quoted (but exaggerated) 15A rating, and figured they were actually using the better battery.

Wait…how do we know they are using the Samsung 50E and not the much better performing 50E2, 50E3, or 50G? We can’t claim sagfest without knowing which “5000mAh” Samsung they’re using.

Though, at 40A “max” for a 2P, even the best 5000mAh cells will not be performing well and P42A’s or 40T’s could potentially give longer range.

6 Likes

That was a mistake on my end then. I just figured 50E, but it could be any of the ones you mentioned.

At any rate the battery should max out at 20A for 2P (for 50E*/50G cells)

1 Like

How do we know its not 50S 35amp cells lol. I need these in my life. Pretty sure fabi stated 50e somewhere like a video but cant find it now.

https://budgetlightforum.com/node/75569

2 Likes

I’ll take a guess that price/availability prevented that, we could always dream

2 Likes

Throw in some electronic ignorance too lol. Ooh same big max numbers but cheap and easy to source, perfect.

1 Like

I like to think he’s not that ignorant about the battery because how are these people designing boards to be safe. The alternative sucks though, people prioritize profit over a solid battery. But we were talking about the molicels being probably a very similar cost to the 50e so who knows lol

2 Likes

What about his website listing 504wh by using the max charge voltage to calculate it. Finally hes added a nominal figure too. I dont know whats right or wrong myself it just seems like he could do with a quick crash course in electronics. The products look ok to me.

3 Likes

:popcorn:

2 Likes

Did a bit more than 30km on my then new ownboard c1s with 10s2p 21700. Slowest mode - 20km/h - that is. No idea if this could end in getting 42km range on 12s2p though.

The right thing is listing only the nominal figure. That’s because the nominal Wh rating takes into account that the voltage of the battery is going to decrease when discharging the cell. The nominal voltage of the battery is the voltage at which the battery has half the energy left. Therefore we use the nominal voltage to calculate the amount of energy the cell can store - at 3.6V you have half the enegy, so in other words you are exactly in the middle of discharging the cell. Multiplying that by the capacity in Ah will give you the amount of energy the battery can store. I completely agree with Fabian needing an electronics crash course.

Listing 504Wh is outright false advertisement in my eyes, even though his intention was likely not that. Most people who are looking to buy a prebuilt don’t know much about batteries therefore they are going to compare the max Wh rating of the board to some other board’s normal (nominal) Wh rating. This will lead to both an unfair comparison and range estimates being ~17% off.

Just saw MrPhilips’s video on the board, he mentioned 504Wh too… People who don’t do the math or don’t know much about batteries will get fooled, and then forward the misinformation.

2 Likes

He says 6kw motors on some boards haha. But then 40amps in the next breath. He says people should like to know what the motor could do maximum. Yeah, if you changed the battery and ESC and wires etc etc.

My 350w ebike can peak 6000w for 3 minutes till it melts lol. Yes i kinda tried it for fun.

If i buy a Honda type R it says 220bhp and i know what to expect and how it will compare to other cars. I dont want to know it can be 350bhp with nitrous.

I second a vote to get the board minus the battery for diy.

Im sure on one of his uphill tests with this new battery he starts to bog down and the camera cuts to him at the top lol

1 Like

All motor figures and battery ratings have been revised on his website. Must have got bored of YouTube comments lol

3 Likes

Had my onsra for 130km and then it stopped charging… ive sent it back to the shop. I beleive it may be an issue with the charger port melting

1 Like