OneWheel - VESC 6 Plus - Gyro - Force Sensor

From my (limited) knowledge, no remote or PPM signal is needed. In the app setup window of VESC tool, there is an option to set up the balance controls.

That is all, i know nothing else :joy:

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s a setting already for “Balance” Input for the vesc. Haven’t used it, but it’s there. Also with the vesc, it can use other control methods not limited to PPM. you could use ADC for example to have it work with any analog sensor including pots, force, or hall sensors.

1 Like

All of this functionality is already built into the balance app, which is all part of the firmware for the vesc.

If you’re using the oem foot pad.

Middle pin -> 3.3v
top right & 2nd top pins -> adc1 & adc2 doesn’t matcher which goes to which.

Then in the balance app settings you need to set the voltage threshold for what is on/off, and a min RPM for half state (one on, one off) to be trigger a fault (motor disabled), as well as a timeout delay which will be shared for both off and half off. (you can see real time data on the adc voltages in the text below the graph)

If your voltage when off is floating around 1.5 and inconsistant, then youll want a pulldown resistor.
so
3.3v -> sensor shared middle pin -> left sensor output pin -> pull down resistor -> ground
________________________________________-> adc 1

3.3v -> sensor shared middle pin -> right sensor output pin -> pull down resistor -> ground
_________________________________________-> adc 2

Or something like that, pulldowns always confuse me, I’m a software guy lol!
If you have more questions, you can get much better and faster answers in out telegram group chat, over 50 builders there already https://t.me/joinchat/JP0KNxbguWM5KhHrT5_CYA

Wiring is the same for velostat sensors or any sensors except you manually merge the 3.3v side of all the sensors. I will be putting more velostat sensors up for sale on my website when i get around to building them. (still slacking on my taxes and shit)

My unlisted sensor building video https://youtu.be/lRXuF9i6rS0

6 Likes

Also start with vesc tool v5, its has a bunch of bug fixes, even tho its still beta i wouldn’t recommend an earlier tool for balance.

7 Likes

while your here, i would love a way to use an input on the vesc to switch between control modes. i would love to be able to use my board like normal but have a single button i could press to switch it into balance mode.

2 Likes

This has been on my mind as well, sadly the best i can offer is the “app to use” setting on the bluetooth app. Which is not soooooooo bad, if your phone is out and connected. But it is also not the dream of speeding along, and hit the button and swoop right into wheelie mode for a cheering crowd.

Sadly Im already using nearly all the inputs already, perhaps a canbus accessory can be configured to make just the necessary settings change and have a button. Coding this into the firmware would require too much refactoring i think. Get 100 users with balance mode configured and and wanting an easier switch, and maybe it will happen :smiley:

4 Likes

yeah my main use would be some kind of button to put my board into balance mode every time i stand it upright for easy moving kind of like an EUC. Maybe input could be instead of footswtich in this scenario as you wont be riding at the time.

4 Likes

that’d be awesomeness

4 Likes

gosh i would love to see a video of your mountainboards standing on their hind wheels @ducktaperules. is that something you might be able to activate by applying a metr profile?

@NuRxG is the trampa vesc the only esc that comes with an imu?

Mountainboard on 2 wheels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL0DEz-0vAY

Yes the trampa vesc 6 mk3 is the only vesc with onboard IMU.

However, the 75/300 seems to have onboard bluetooth on other pins, so i think i can make a 1 line code change to get it working with both, currently i think bluetooth on it will break if balance app is run, but 2 new balance users got 75/300s with the latest batch, so i suspect ill get complaints soon lol! I’ll have to borrow one to make sure i fix it properly. Or maybe someone else with one can figure it out.

ALSO:
Cheap Focer v2 will have bmi160 IMU
Stormcore has an unsupported IMU, but that will get sorted :smiling_imp: (vesc already supports 4 IMUs)
ZESC may get an IMU version? Read is thread and bug the guy making them if you’re in the market.

3 Likes

Might be possible to add an app of “PPM and Balance” now that I’m thinking about it. Would need to have the PPM app tell the balance app when it is not running, because the balance app sends constant “holding current” values when not balancing so that it is easier to mount board style vehicles.

Roller mode for an eboard sounds rad. Without foot switches you still have balance mode shut off at certain angles, so just throw it down to shut it off LOL!

4 Likes

yeah i guess it may be possible.

when stormcore arrives i think they will have IMU, also you can add IMO to most ESC’s easily.

that sounds awesome, just have it activate balance mode when within the set angle range, and if it goes outside that drop back to PPM for normal use. cant imagine many cases where a board would reach these angles in standard use. could also maybe use this set to 30 degree angle for crazy wheelie mode :slight_smile:

Also have this crazy idea of riding a MTB like normal then when i need low speed manoeuvrability you could ride it kinda like a segway by standing on the rear truck mount.

4 Likes

Great. Absolutly great!
Jesus. I searched through the web like an maniac and couldn’t find this specific answers.
I already thought about building additional hardware with an mcu for the sensor.
You even covered the build part of the velostat sensor itself in perfection.

I absolutly would love to buy one of yours DIY Kids!
Are you from US or EU? Do you have a day in mind when you think it will be available again?

1 Like

The VESC six plus, MKIII and MK IV all have IMU support. VESC 6 MK IV uses the BMI 160, all previous versions the MPU9250

3 Likes

Did i miss something or is the VESC 6 MK IV already released?

No, but it will replace the MKIII. The difference is the IMU since the MPU9250 is no longer an active part. In consequence we now use the BMI 160. To avoid confusion the devices get a new revision number.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I meant only vesc ***(currently for sale) with an imu :smiley:

When is the 100/250 coming?

Also I’ve had some odd results on my bmi160. Not sure how much like it as an imu, i should wire up a 2nd one and test it some more. But i think a calibrated MPU9250 works better for me. I’m excited to try the LSM imu on the stormcore.

3 Likes

I mail them in a standard paper envelope, so they should be able to go worldwide. I sold the first batch to onewheelers for mods, but recently ive had a lot of DIY people asking for them, so pressure is building.

I finished my taxes last night, but i also really want to finish this imu calibration wizard for the vesc tool, i just cant figure out the math to calculate YPR euler translation to get between two specific vectors/frames to level out an imu. Might have to cave in and ask ben for help :unamused:

2 Likes

Probably everyone will be greateful to get the opportunity by buying your DIY sensor, so consequently don’t stress yourself!
If everything is falling apart there is always a way to build some provisional solution.
I will keep an eye on the stock of the DIY Kit at the “TeamCyrWheel” Page!

1 Like