On the Topic Of Smart Helmets

Is this just vaporware?

Did you read their website lol

Xnito does not exist yet. The other two do

This topic is about these light up helmets in general, I just happened to talk to Xnito which is what led me down this hole

2 Likes

One feature I wished more helmets had is communication like the Sena smart helmets. I wore one when I did a Segway tour a while back, I looked stupid on top of stupid but thatā€™s another story. Iā€™m not sure which one they had but the guide was connected to like 10 dorks rolling around the city talking for an hour. This would be great when you ride with others instead of screaming into the wind

4 Likes

heeeeeey
what about ttl? i havent checked it out much but could it be adapted to helmet use?

What is that?

2 Likes

Lol Iā€™ve gone on two group rides this year of 40+ people

Itā€™s all location dependent I suppose

Edit: Group rides like this are not for everyone though I get it, it can be annoying at times

Itā€™s the thing we do here in Southern California with 95% summer weather, 100% drought and we ride as a HOBBY vs a transportation device

I agree, I avoid certain group rides because of some a-hole riders

2 Likes

I just want an HUD so that I have an overlay for directions for when Iā€™m skating the last mile somewhere I havenā€™t been to before. It doesnā€™t have to be integrated with the helmet; makes it more bearable to replace a helmet either because itā€™s already done its job or itā€™s too old.

I hate how Glassholes ruined Google Glass for everyone.

3 Likes

I feel like lights and bluetooth should be a bare minimum for any ā€œtech helmetā€

thereā€™s some $1000+ helmets on kickstarter and the like with HUD (or at least promising it)
the tech exists but itā€™s expensive, and currently only really used in cars.

TBH Iā€™ve been perfectly happy with lights, music and handsfree phone calls. only thing I wish my current helmet had was a smart assistant.

1 Like

This thing works very well. Many people here have it.

2 Likes

Are we heading towards self-riding helmets?

3 Likes

Helmet that massages my head and picks up radio signals, or I donā€™t want it.

3 Likes

If it needs an antenna itā€™s gonna look like this

3 Likes

I donā€™t need lights or heads up displays or anything smart in a helmet. Show me full face helmets that are rated for multiple falls like skate helmets and Iā€™m sold. The full face market is all based on motorcycle riders and rated for one use when our sport has a higher percentage ability to fall and hit your head. $150-300 isnā€™t reasonable for a helmet rated for one fall in a sport where youā€™re gonna fall constantly. The market is geared towards low speeds (skate helmets) and extremely high speeds (one use full faces) and the biggest thing missing is a market for mid speeds, 25-50mph that can handle multiple hits.

3 Likes

Maybe the increase in escooters will help? Iā€™m with you, Iā€™d love to have a properly rater helmet for multiple impacts rather than eating the lose or taking more of a risk

3 Likes

Totally agree

One alternative is to just not fall, which some people are better at than others. Iā€™ve only fallen twice and hit my head 0 times and I ride pretty hard, but not everyone has this experience. Obviously Iā€™m still going to wear my helmet anyways in case I get hit by a car or something stupid happens

The other alternative is lower price, and I just canā€™t imagine that happening

I didnā€™t actually know this was a thing, what would determine when it was ā€œusedā€ all the way?

ā€œWhat would determine when it was ā€œusedā€ all the way?ā€

Great question, Iā€™m not sure what the full answer is to that. What I can tell you is Iā€™ve still feel safe riding in my 5 year old Bern DOT certified skate helmet and thatā€™s absorbed every fall from when I was a noob to now. Itā€™s survived two 35+mph falls without so much as a crack in it. That said, Iā€™d feel safer in a full face but itā€™s hard for me to commit when I host rides weekly and could have any number of potential falls over a years time. Back to your question again though Iā€™m not sure what the gauge is on a multi-hit helmet. Iā€™ve considered replacing this old bucket soon myself, considering I know itā€™s age, all of its wrecks and what itā€™s been through.

Sure I guess you could just go slow all the time and never fall, Iā€™d rather pad up, have a little fun and prepare myself for the worst, and or the best day out riding. What does factor into the ratings seems to be based on the materials used: Multi-Purpose Helmets

1 Like

I use a DOT rated motorcycle helmet and Iā€™ve fallen in it probably 6-8 times and so far Iā€™ve broken the sunglasses latch slightly and the visor popped off and wonā€™t pop back on, but otherwise itā€™s still been holding up fine. I am looking into a new one anyway though.

2 Likes