Omni Esk8 RH5 Wide hubs with dual bearing size compatibility

Stumbled across these wide hubs today. Thought they were pretty interesting due to the dual bearing compatibility, quick release mounting, and the price. $169 (giggity) for 4 hubs and 60t pulleys.

I remember dual bearings being discussed here a while back (can’t remember which thread).

Downsides are they won’t be compatible with gear drives unless a new adapter is made specifically for these hubs.

Anyway, curiosity got the best of this esk8 hoarder and I ordered a set. I’ll report back after they arrive.

4 Likes

I rather buy the ones from @Ean.esk8 , as he has said he would give us the geometry needed to design adapters. And he’s an active member of the community.

4 Likes

The newbee ones are nice, but a lot of us don’t have the skills or hardware to model adapters and print them ourselves.

The omni wheels come with pulleys so they’re actually usable by people who don’t own the 4gs gear drive.

The inner profile on both the omni hubs and the newbee hubs appears quite close to the mbs rockstar ii metal hubs (speaking about the 5 spoke pattern). I’m curious if the jump drive adapter for those would fit the newbee hubs, or if the rounding of the “spokes” toward the bearing side would interfere with the adapter?

edit: nevermind - no way newbee hubs would work with JD adapter. the omni wheels might though (probably not).

Damn, I wish there was like any standardization in this hobby. Making hubs that fit only 1 gear drive and nothing else seems like a miss to me.

2 Likes

If youre concerned about not being able to make adapters for the newbee hubs, im more than open to designing and manufacturing adapters for wheels. Current project is an adapter for SRB wheels to run kegel pattern pulleys or adapt to gear drives. Im trying to build up a repository of mounting patterns, so far ive got kegel, otang dadbod both developed and tested with 3d prints for functionality, so im absolutely open to developing one for any other hub.

I can print them in CF reinforced nylon or PETG so that should be plenty for our uses.

3 Likes

Your project sounds awesome, but I am probably realistically sticking with Tomiboi hubba hubs for a while. I’m using the 3dp adapters that @poastoast made for jump drives.

2 Likes