Old Build, New Motivation

Hello everyone, I am finally getting around to finishing my custom build. I made a mistake a few years ago and saw some sparks (I had my ground wire switched up). I abandoned the project after I moved to a non-friendly longboarding area. I had to cross a highway to get to any restaurants and there were no trails to take. Now, I will be able to ride this to restaurants/groceries/work/and down to the river. Moving to this new area makes me really want to get this up and running. Here’s a couple pictures of my simple build and custom deck:

(The stress ball was needed when I tried attaching the power)

So basically it looks like I have everything connected properly with the lights affirming this. My remote just doesn’t want to communicate with my VSEC. Switching off the remote turns off the light on the receiver, so there is some communication, but I can’t get the motor to spin. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to figure this out?

Of course I have one of the worst remotes available, but it was one of the few I could choose from back then. I do have another remote because I was thinking of getting two builds eventually. So here is a pic of that:

I am just missing the wires and connector to plug it into the VSEC, so I haven’t been able to try this other remote. I tried stopping by a few stores in the area, but they didn’t have what I was looking for. (I think its a JST 6 pin) If anyone has any extras laying around I would be interesting in picking one up instead of buying a bundle off the internet from somewhere random.

My next thought is to just buy a new remote because both of these seem like bad options considering what we have available right now. (another small plug for someone to sell me something if they have one laying around)

If anyone has some thoughts, tips, or tricks they would be very much appreciated!

1 Like

Those solder joints all look a bit scary. Tread carefully, potentially check out the thread on how to solder.

2 Likes

Take that bind key out lol

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what rookie soldering looks like lol I just picked up some heat shrink so ill redo it

With the bind key in the red light turns on and off with the remote. Taking out the bind key turns the red light off permanently

1 Like

Removing the bind key is the last step, before that it says to adjust for mid throttle, but I’m getting none.

That’s probably a failsafe adjustment.

Turn the board upside down, turn everything on until the wheels spin on-command, then turn off the remote. If the wheels start spinning when you turn off the remote, it’s unsafe and should not be ridden.

This is a different remote and I’m unfamiliar with the one you are using, but you can look at how a different remote does failsafe and see if maybe this one works the same way.

You should just buy a mini remote in the first place as well. Can be had for $15ish shipped on eBay. That finger hole remote is kinda poop, unsure about the joystick one.

Thanks for the reply’s everyone!
@b264 That video is exactly what I was looking at when I was working on it before. The instructions that came with weren’t great, but the more I played with it the more they made sense.

@marketthrowaway getting another cheap remote looks like my next best step. I just need to find one that is not shipped out of china for the 1 month+ shipping time

1 Like

Holy crap Rona made mini remote prices go thru the roof and shit availability too.

FWIW most AliExpress orders come in two weeks even tho they say a month, looks like they’re ~$25 over there

Torqueboards is selling them for $45 in the US but I’d just get a puck at that point, mini isn’t worth that much + I wouldn’t particularly enjoy supporting Dexter. I really bought one for $15 shipped in the US right before Rona happened, guess I got lucky lol.

Ok, next rotate that 3 wire cable 180° so it’s white red black and report back

1 Like