Not Matrix II related - FW4 bug causes wobbles

Tack on question, are you running any traction control?

No traction control.

No it’s between 60-80% of top speed depending on the used shock blocks.

Damn hope you’ll find out what’s the problem

1 Like

Can you do a test run with it enabled to see if it cuts your second motor early or allows the second to catch up smoothly?

It sounds like you are getting pushed so that your weight is more on the rear of the board. Have you tried leaning hard into the acceleration? I’ve noticed weight distribution plays a huge roll in speed wobbles even if your board is setup properly. 70/30 on the front end

1 Like

I mean you are right, in offroad conditions I always put more weight on the rear because of much better control and traction.

If I would put more weight on the front I would fall all the time eg. on gravel or soft dirt. The same for tight curves. If I lean back a bit and am too fast the rear wheels start to slide. I just shift my weight more forward and can succeed the turn. But if I put more weight on the front then the front wheels slide and I fall without any chance to correct anything.

Or when riding at higher speed and the surfaces change from eg. concrete to loose dirt I put 80-100% weight on the rear because otherwise it can be very painful, guess why i know :wink:

But I get your point and it makes sense when riding on concrete. I’ll try if different weight distribution makes a difference regarding wobble :+1:

2 Likes

@rich Seriously, before you get into too much other crazy stuff, tried dewedging the rear by 5 or 10 degrees and see if that doesn’t just fix the problem. I don’t recall ever having any speed wobbles on my Matrix 2 trucks, at least up to around 50kph (my personal speed limit), but at 30°in the rear, it did feel a bit twitchy at that speed if my blocks were too loose. Since -5 degrees was such an improvement in stability, I would guess +5 degrees in the other direction could introduce the wobbles you are dealing with.

And just this week I was blasting around a wide open dirt field that was so bumpy I had to wait my back leg as if I was plowing through powder on a snowboard, and it was completely stable with the front being nice and turny still.

And yes, riding with no blocks up front and loose yellows in the rear is great for balance training and testing your ankle strength. Side effects may include a wee bit of testicle retraction and anal puckering though. :rofl:

4 Likes

The last days were beautiful and warm here but had to work. The next 2 days I have off but the forecast says it’s raining both days. If it stops I’m ready to get dirty :grin:

Regarding tip angles I made some interesting measurements which I want to share. For comparison I measured the MBS DW II deck as well. Don’t take it 100% accurate but it gives you an idea.

I’m 74kg (163lbs) and the HolyPro deck has 16ply

unweighted:
Holypro [ 33°] | DW II [ 32°]

weighted:
Holypro [ 36,8°] | DW II [ 33,4°]

pushed down a bit (simulating normal offroad)
Holypro [ more than 40°] | DW II [ 35°]

pushed down more (simulating heavy offroad)
Holypro [ more than 45°] | DW II [ 37°- 38°]

So in reality the tip angles during riding are between 37° and more than 45° with the Trampa deck.

5 Likes

Good thing I could test for 2 days :grin: Bad thing the issue is not solved yet.

I tried everything like to move most weight to the front or exactly in the middle. No difference at all. Very little or hard acceleration makes also no difference. Loose or hard cranked down red shock blocks marginal 1-2km/h difference. It’s always between 44-46km/h (27.3-28.6mph)

Then I mounted a -5° E-Toxx angled riser. I can feel the different angle when steering but the speed wobbles are the same. WTF!

Here the video evidence

The last hope is that it is FW related, I could try to downgrade from 4.0 to 3.62.

I’ve read that @DavidC had some wobble problems with FW4.1. Did the wobbles behave similar to the ones shown in the video?

7 Likes

I had similar issue that was vesc tool. It was always at the same speed. I could audibly hear the motor switching i assume left to right… I changed over to ackmaniac firmware and the issue was completely gone.

5 Likes

Jesus you are the second person now, I’ve never read something like this before or maybe I missed it. But many guys use new FW, that’s strange.

Definitely gonna downgrade FW and test it on weekend. I’m so curious, can’t wait!

6 Likes

Yes it is, but less worse maybe because my springs are more tightened. I downgraded to ACKMANIAC because I prefer watt control but before 4.1 everything was fine with 3.65. I’ve never had such bad wooble.

1 Like

Do you have metr logs? Might give some insight aswell. Very curious to hear what’s the cause!

2 Likes

Solid music choice for the video. Props to you for filming wobbles too. Scary biz, hopefully the FW downgrade fixes the issue

7 Likes

:ok_hand: I hope mine also disappear…

Thanks for reminding me that I recorded logs with the Vesc-Tool app :joy:

I took a look and see some weird things especially with duty cycle. When the wobble happens the value jumps around. Blue line is speed an pink duty cycle.

or here 2 wobbles

Here 45.72 km/h and 77.40 % duty cycle

Also 45.72 km/h but 92.80 % duty cycle ???

That’s close to 95% but there is also the wobble when it is below 85%, very strange…

I wanted to know if they look as bad as they feel and yes they do.

8 Likes

your trucks are just twerking dw

4 Likes

Bahahahaaa :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shake the ass :joy:

2 Likes

remind me again which ESC do you use @rich?

Those sure are some wobbles!

1 Like

Vesc6

1 Like