Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Hey guys,

I promise soon enough Iā€™ll be able to hopefully answer some of these noob questions as opposed to only asking themā€¦ :/. Anyhow Iā€™m working on an AWD build with 4 90kV TB DD motors. Using a 12s6p battery back and two dual vesc6s. My question being when I program the vescs should I set the motor max at 60A? Or 30A. Is the setting per motor or for in this case the two together hooked up to each VESC. I know the VESC can handle up to 200A continuous but the battery would be approx 120A. Or is my math off somewhere. Thanks a lot again.

Battery is total for each vesc, motor is individual. If you want total 120A battery, then set 60A per dual vsec6 (or whatever bias front/rear you want) and motors can be 60A each. Motor max doesnā€™t affect battery draw, mostly just low speed torque.

1 Like

Thank you!

What BluPenguin said - With the dual vescs, set the battery max for both halves combined. Motor max can far exceed battery max with no ill effects - It primarily affects low speed acceleration and torque, so Iā€™d set motor max to maybe 60 or 80, and battery max to 60 - Since the battery current is split and the motor current is not, it comes out to 30 battery amps per wheel, and 60-80 motor amps per wheel.

1 Like

40kph was also top speed from new. so dont think its something about how clean it was.

@MysticalDork @ahrav my understanding is what you just said isnā€™t actually the case

the battery current limit is per wheel and the motor current is as well.

if you put in 30a battery limit, and you have 2 motors, 60a can be drawn from the battery.

you can safely put a higher motor limit than the battery limit, and this wonā€™t cause the battery limit to be exceeded, but it will increase the torque at lower speeds. (constant motor current draws a different battery current at every speed, and it takes less battery current to supply the same motor current at lower speeds than higher speeds)

hereā€™s an example:

^blue line is the motor current and black line is the battery currentā€¦ it can be seen that it takes less battery current to supply the same motor current at lower speeds and torque is directly proportionally to the motor currentā€¦ no load speed is where the red line crosses above the yellow line.

1 Like

Which carrier is cheapest to send a small package from US to EU?
(Sending a Focbox)

HI, UK resident here. currently toying with my first build either being DD or Belt. came across this 3000w 58kv DD and was wondering how it would measure up in terms of Torque to dual TorqueBoards 6355ā€™s. planning on using 12s3p battery with it for a street build. thinking of DDā€™s bc on the surface it seems like it would be easier to make for a newbie like myself.

1 Like

Some people like them, its the trucks that bug me. Double king pin trucks are not as stable as traditional trucks. A belt drive is cheaper, easier to work on and easier to upgrade. Its not that hard to build either. If you really want Direct Drive, I would suggest @torqueboards

1 Like

cheers for the feedback
i already bought some Caliber IIā€™s in prep for a belt build, thought i could maybe use them with the ones linkedā€¦i guess not is what ur saying. do you recommend those TBā€™s ones soley because of the trucks, or are they vastly superior motors? - also, ive no understanding of KV rating for Hub-style motors, how do dual 6355 190kv belts compare to that 58KV DD in terms of torque?

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™ve never ridden either. Iā€™ve had them both in my hands and the TB DDā€™s are made of better quality components. DD is not going to be as fast as Belt Drives, the torque is similar.

Dual Belt Drive values vs. eLofty Dual Direct Drive values

Dual Belt Drive

eLofty Dual Direct Drive

1 Like

nice1. food for thought heh

1 Like

This is what I got to work with which port would I plug into if I bought it?

1 Like

1 Like

It might be a stupid qestion but whatever. Is it possible to use two different vescā€™s in a dual setup??? Thanks

1 Like

I couldnā€™t find any info about that

I donā€™t think thatā€™s true for some ā€œdualā€ controllers like Unity but I donā€™t have dual controllers so IDK

If they are VESC compatible, then yes this is not a problem. If you use CANBUS there are other considerations, but otherwise everything should just work without using CAN.

Use split PWM (ā€œPPMā€) or dual PWM (ā€œPPMā€)

2 Likes

so if i want to connect maytech 4.12 with focbox what should i do? just the CANBUS?

Do anything except CANBUS

Use split PWM (ā€œPPMā€) or dual PWM (ā€œPPMā€)

You can actually use CANBUS but youā€™d need to match firmware versions and there are a lot more gotchas

2 Likes