Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Maybe if I have money for skinner one of these days, but probably keep it stock for a bit since it is my first really nice deck to be honest. I like the silver surfer back story though and character design:

" Originally a young astronomer named Norrin Radd on the planet Zenn-La, he saved his homeworld from the planet devourer, Galactus, by serving as his herald. Imbued in return with a tiny portion of Galactus’s Power Cosmic,[5] Radd acquired vast power, a new body and a surfboard-like craft on which he could travel faster than light. Now known as the Silver Surfer, Radd roamed the cosmos searching for planets for Galactus to consume. When his travels took him to Earth, he met the Fantastic Four, who helped him rediscover his nobility of spirit. Betraying Galactus, the Surfer saved Earth but was exiled there as punishment"
-Wikipedia

1 Like

@Skatardude10 no (doesn’t matter) as far as I know it should be pretty much the same once the circuit is broken the current will stop flowing, there might be some minor residual voltage pushing things around from capacitors and whatnot for a few moments to seconds after disconnect but don’t think anything to be concerned about.

1 Like

I’ll measure my clearance in a bit.

1 Like

@gustavthemighty

The male portion (with prongs) won’t go south. The antispark resistor is in the female portion, that’s what can fail. I’d either epoxy it in, or 3d print a thing that can either be screwed, snapped, or epoxied in.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to use the esk8 calculator to figure out my range, but i have no idea what kind of wh/km my board will have. Does anyone know what kind of power usage I might get from my build? I’ll be using the Haggy drive system with bergmeisters and 6374 190kv motors, I weight 72kg and i live in a fairly flat area.

hey guys, 2 of my friends have diyeboards with dual 5055,
both the same setup battery / gearing /wheels

after finishing the second build, it became obvious that there is something wrong with the first one,
the acceleration and braking are way weaker on it, no matter how the speed mode is set

the difference is like night and day, but other than that it behaves completely normal…

ive written to jason, but id like your opinions on what could cause this behaviour

1 Like

Are they both about the same weight?

no, the guy with the weaker board actually is 30kg lighter :confused:

no matter that, i tested both boards side by side, on the faulty one the brakes are so bad, its dangerous, its definetly a technical issue - it feels close to as if the board was running with only one motor power wise, but both are spinning up

1 Like

Never ever suggest this please. It is sub par compared to silicone.

@gustavthemighty an epoxy or jb weld would hold it permanently

@onebluesummer google/amazon/eBay pvc junction box. That polycase site is nice for sizing but is pricey.

4 Likes

Given identical everything, I would guess an underperforming battery. Any chance you guys can do a swap to check?

1 Like

@olsyke are the motor and battery current limit settings the same?

1 Like

If it’s the full diyeboard kit, they come with escs.

1 Like

Are the boards sensored?

Try unplugging both sensor cables from both boards and seeing how they perform.

1 Like

@Venom121212 silicone is pita to remove fully and he wanted something easy to remove and then followed by saying hot glue didn’t work…you’re too late to the party

3 Likes

I’ve had a pm chain with him going for weeks. Who’s late to who’s party now beotch?

2 Likes

@Venom121212 And yet he comes to the main thread for help…:kissing_heart:

6 Likes

those diyeboard kits come with an esc you cant hook up to a computer,
given that everything is the same, the battery is likely the culprit ?

i will try a swap and see how it turns out

2 Likes

@onebluesummer I have 1 3/4" of ground clearance and @Venom121212 is right the boxes and shipping are crazy expensive. Now had I purchased in a quantity of 1000 boxes there would have been free shipping and base price per box would have dropped by $15.

1 Like

@gustavthemighty I second all this

1 Like

If you are using longboard wheels, try the standard default of 11.2Wh/km and if you’re using pneumatics try a higher starting point like 14Wh/km

The truth is, nobody will know what range your board + you will achieve until it happens. This is a good guess. Once you have experience you can adjust the power usage to match actual empirical values.

Your board itself is only about one third the equation – about two thirds of the equation is “how you ride it” because you can ride it in ways that dump a ton of power, and you can ride it in ways that prolong the charge.

1 Like