Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

You’d need a BMS set to balance just above 4.00V/cell then. Still requires the same change, just a different number. That would extract a tiny bit more range from the pack as well.

1 Like

It is my opinion that reading fictional material is a waste of time.

3 Likes

where your a proper partier

instead of changing the bms what about maxing out the charger to 52v then it an only balance that high

It will work great, until it doesn’t.

If you don’t understand what that can cause, then read about why cell balancing is needed in the first place for series counts above 1S.

1 Like

K thank you
Will look a bit into it find out it’s to complicated and scrap the idea

If the pack is only ver charged to like 80% 52v then wouldn’t the bms just balance all the cells to 80%

No, it will not. That is the problem.

An active cell balancer will. Not a BMS or a passive “bleed-type” balancer.

2 Likes

You must be the life and soul at the local hoedown.

Sorry noobs. That comment tho

3 Likes

So then why not use an active balancer
Separate your 13s packs into a 6s and 7s and then active balance with a imax or something similiar

Then the first time you hit a puddle or it rains, you have water in your balance cables since they’re sticking out naked.

I’ll pass on that.

1 Like

You can get a silicone cover

Are there any smart bms that allow custom balancing?

Something like this should be able to, not sure what the ranges are but spec sheet says it’s adjustable.
https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/product/13s-48v-li-ion-battery-pcb-board-54-6v-lithium-bms-with-60a-discharge-current-for-electric-motorcycle-and-e-scooter-protection-2-2-3-2-2-2-2-2/

2 Likes

Would be awesome if that could do it

If it is then 13s5p p42a sounds like a good option

So do you know if there is anyway to find out whether that would work?

Check with someone who has the smart BMS :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

You know anyone?

not off the top of my head but there should be several users here that has it

1 Like

K will look around

Is it normal with v6 hardware that it keeps being powered while connected via usb but not main power?

My metr kept blinking and the Vesc had a red light.
With my v4.12 if i disconnect power everything disconnects, even usb. Now i have to remove USB, remove power to restart it.

1 Like

R1 is a 0 ohm resistor that is optional in the design. The placement of this jumper causes the MCU to boot from USB power. Some models of VESC-derived hardware may have this populated. Remove R1 if you don’t want that.

Placement of this jumper can also cause your laptop’s power supply to fight with the DRV power supply if both are powered up at the same time. This isn’t ideal.

3 Likes

I own one (the LLT / JBD), and it’s pretty simple to configure it to balance the cell at whatever voltage you feel.

1 Like