Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I currently have a 12s5p 30q battery with pneumatics gives me around 20-30 miles of range depending on how I ride

I want to up that range slightly and was wondering if I build a 12s3p 50e pack and attach it into the charge port in an enclosure on top of the board (using a charge only bms)

Would that work and be safe

Also how would it affect my battery
I send it like charging it at 30amps

Also should I connect in parallel or at the charge port

Thanks

Wires to charging port are not thick enough to carry so much current. You can get xt90 parallel connector between vesc and first battery and connect second battery in parallel there. Just make sure both batteries are at the same voltage before connecting them in parallel

4 Likes

Do you guys fix components so they hang from the underside of the deck so enclosure is just a cover, or you make them sit and fix them to the enclosure?

Of course not talking about “haya” like decks where all the electronics are on top of the deck.

Thanks

You should aim to put as little pressure on the enclosure as possible

However most properly done enclosure should be able to support quite a bit of weight

3 Likes

For the trampa VESC 6 which metr module works with metr.at app? Asking for a friend not sure if he should get the Unity or Pro version (I assume pro but want to confirm)

Get the pro version.

also, shipping is currently on halt afaik

edit :

1 Like

Does ACK software support dual ESCs? Using an FSESC 6.6 dual plus

1 Like

I have an idea:
A wooden enclosure without any sort of cover, so that anything would fall out.
Mount that to the board via bolts.
Secure all electronics to the box top so that they won’t fall out!
Put magnets in the edges of the open box.
Put magnets in a wooden plate.
And be able to open your enclosure if you need and have it securely locked when not.
Will this work out in reality?
I would drill small holes in the edges of the wooden pieces inserting, and gluing N45 Neodym magnets with a power of 900g each. I would use a total of 10 magnets, so 9kg (since the magnates are literally touching eachother when cover attached).
The wood itself is hardly 500g
The components less than 2kg (in worst case scenario, you would hear when these fall off the top where they were secured too, and end the ride)

Hmm I guess it depends on your particular build. For example I have a build running ESCape dual with built in mounting hardware that mounts to the enclosure, and on another I have the heat sink casing bolted directly to the board and the enclosure fits over it.

What I think truly matters, is that nothing is actually “hanging.” Vibrations will tear apart anything over time that’s not overbuilt, so my advice would be mount in whichever way is secure as possible.

One thing I liked to do was use dual-lock velcro between the bottom of the deck and the battery, which helps hold the battery so all that weight is not only supported by the screws holding your enclosure on.

1 Like

The lacroix boards basically hang everything in the enclosure. I wonder why that works for them, if it’s just because the enclosure is carbon fiber instead of abs or fiberglass.

I wonder what kind of failures people had trying all hanging in the enclosure approaches, since the general guidance seems to be to avoid it.

Help…?

yes. It asks you if you are setting up the Slave or Master.

what FW are you coming from?

When does it ask? I’m running Fw: 3.103, Hw: 60

Oof…you got me there.

I think it was the Input setup. Thats where you also can assign the VESC ID.

Did you solve the buffer erase timeout?

That was from the 1.21 VESC Tool

1 Like

Were you on Ackmaniac’s firmware when on 3.103?

Are you trying to get away from that firmware?

I am just trying to get the board to move rn, both ack and vesc software isn’t working

What happens when you load it up with Ack’s ESC Tool instead of VESC Tool?

I want to say 3.103 is the latest one he is on. It looks like on VESC Tool you were trying to update to 3.65 when it kicked you that Buffer Erase Timeout error

If it had succeeded flashing the firmware, you would have seen it finish erasing, then writing the firmware, like shown in this video @ around the 3:30 mark

are there any disadvantages to bypassing the bms for discharge?
i know that an advantage is that you don’t need a high current bms