Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I’ve set my vesc voltage cutoff to 42-40v.

Just came back from a ride and plugged one of the batteries in my charger which says its at 7% with a voltage of 21.3x volt or something.

But thats what i don’t get. if discharge about 4v from 100-7%. How can there be 3v left but with only 7%?

Look at discharge graphs the lines will be colored based on how high the discharge rate is the area under the curve is the charge used over time the area under the section beyond the “cliff” is very small there is little usable energy even though the voltage is still pretty high the Ah left in the cell is small.

1 Like

Because as batteries discharge (especially lipos) they contain less energy, for example 70% of your riding will be in 4.2v - 3.7v even though you still have .3-.7v left it contains only 30% of your remaining energy and is better off not worth discharging to allow your batteries a higher cycle life.

2 Likes

So its pretty much crippled energy. As if you run a marathon full of euphoria but you are unable to run the last 30% because your legs can’t do it anymore. And if you try you might hurt your legs even more.

1 Like

Yah the charger also just has some table that says x voltage is y percentage and does some mapping for values between so the percentage is based on ranges preset into the device. Realistically you can use an artificial load and a bench power supply to stress test cells to see where they really break but can usually take MFG word on the limits and maybe add some padding since everyone likes to fluff their numbers.

1 Like

If you’d like a solution that just works, sure why not

pic from The Definitive Guide to Metr App / Metr Pro
software at https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6591

5 Likes

Does this force me to only use Garmin action cameras?

1 Like

No but the tools sucks. Haven’t got a precise result yet, its always 1-2 seconds ahead (the data)

You can use any camera footage

1 Like

no! you can use any source of video! @rpasichnyk & @hexakopter took the time and effort to automate exporting the data collected by Metr into the format that can be easily read by that Garmin app

2 Likes

Welp, I could install the Garmin app with Wine on Linux, but can’t launch it. Will need to choose a different solution.

1 Like

I hope they are ready for their pack to be worn out after 50 or less cycles

1 Like

have you used winetricks to install a win32 .net framework

2 Likes

Having Windows in a virtual machine often works. Get VirtualBox and a copy of Windows

There are test virtual machines provided from MS for different variants of IE testing but think you can probably install some stuff and use it at least on a temporary basis if wine doesn’t work out or is more trouble than it’s worth.

GPU passthrough for editing programs that use it and other things can get hairy in VB though.

1 Like

garmin virb edit relies on ffmpeg to do all the heavy lifting, no gpu passthrough needed @wafflejock . sucks that the ui is .net based but if you can get .net working under wine you should be good to go. you can also try running the macos version on darling @rusins

2 Likes

I got that same noise only while accelerating and carving simultaneously. I first thought it was idler bearings now I think its coming from the motor…Maytech 6374 sealed. I got new idlers and I bearings gonna swap them out and see if that gets it.

2 Likes

Is there an inherit limit to turn degree for trucks? In other words, can I increase the angle of my trucks (ignoring issues like bolts not being properly seaeted) until 90 degress and get an increasing range of turn?

If yes, it seems like you would be able to make poor turning trucks more maneuverable at the cost of maybe performance such as “centering” or “snap back”.

I ask because I recently bought a cheapie board with no name trucks and noticed that there were wedges. The board turns horrible but I wonder if the company added trucks to attempt to partially increase turn?

kingpin angle is your answer… the more angle… to a degree, the more turny… such is the aim of wedging and adj baseplates… it effects truck mobility and turny-turny more than bushings… in some aspects…

1 Like

Can you use vesc tool on Android connected via otg?

I’ve been told no by somebody smart but have never personally tried…

1 Like