Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

So for racing up to speed mostly is the difference or weight and hilliness you think I just hear/see these numbers and sounds kinda bananas to me if not racing?

I mean do you big dudes run that fast or just care less about eating shit too I just donā€™t get how thatā€™s a comfortable commuting speed.

2 Likes

@wafflejock im 80kg and board is geared for 47km/h

i guess im just an addict to acceleration :man_shrugging:

1 Like

All good maxing things out and feeling the oomph are fine I guess I just saw Brian chime in and tried to equate it to a comfortable chill ride and it stopped making sense for a minute :smiley:

Know he uses the board as daily driver like me so doing riskier things is less our realm typically.

2 Likes

mine is a daily commuter tooā€¦ i allways ride in full crash gear tho

i return from work at 2-3am consistently tho, so its more viable to have a race home :joy:

3 Likes

Yah guess most of the roads I take have stop signs I stop at so thereā€™s just no simple way without jacking the acceleration to get up to those speeds before I hit a stop sign, also far prefer riding one road away from main roads but again means Iā€™m stopping at a lot of intersectionsā€¦ Still it seems a bit risky speed to be doing daily good to hear your geared up and ready to slide though :slight_smile:

Timing part helps too.

2 Likes

lots of bike lanes in my city, if i go on roads its mostly one-ways and in the nightā€¦ its quite optimal for esk8 and also i never endanger people or myself needlessly

pretty much like i would ride a car or motorcycle

1 Like

Gotcha yah a bit more of those in Chicago and surrounding areas over time but still have to pick and choose to find the bike paths here and the Berwyn police told me I canā€™t have a motorized ā€œvehicleā€ on the sidewalk but gave me no fine so I stick to side roads here and everything seems good.

2 Likes

with the abundance of scooters around here i think police appreciate me being the only one wearing a helmet :see_no_evil:

esk8 is not a vehicle as far as laws here are concernedā€¦ its a toy :teddy_bear:

but officially its 5km/h and on sidewalk only for toys, its just that no one cares

1 Like

Yeah I think toy vehicle is the correct legal classification but IANAL, either way wasnā€™t worth fighting the cops over a warning. Iā€™m pretty sure they stopped me half out of curiosity, was getting a lot of questions at the time about the esk8. Think Tesla has started to rub some of the novelty of esk8 away though the general public but they still seem interested when Iā€™m on he train platforms etc.

2 Likes

same for me, cops only asked me out of curiousity, and made sure im not a complete maniac with some questionsā€¦

im tryin to be a decent example how to behave on an esk8 for the public perceptionā€¦

but that doesnt mean theres no time and place for some fun to be had

1 Like

Can you send some of you nice police officers over to us?

3 Likes

germany is beyond helping :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Can I chime in on this settings chat briefly?

Its pretty easy to understand if you take it in stages.

It all starts with the battery. Period. Yours is capable of 100amps total. Never exceed this no matter what anyone tells you. You do not want the vesc thinking it can draw anymore than this continuously.
Then consider the actual esc because usually this is where the bottleneck occurs. Check what the esc can safely run. (in your case its fine at 50 amp per side)
Also consider what kind of bms is in the battery. Whether its a discharge or charge only.
In your case its a charge only so has no bearing on the amp draw during discharge.
(If for example you had a discharge bms then you would need to consider what that bms is rated for)
Then think about what you want from these settings.
More torque or more response higher up the range.
Battery amps set at max which in this case is 100a will give you some punch in the upper range of your throttle curve.
Motor amps will give you more punch off the line at the beginning of your throttle curve.
Motor amps is where you feel the most effect. When you up them the board will accelerate far quicker but you need to be aware of heat and thats an easy one. Look at the manufacturers specs and set accordingly. If your motors donā€™t heat up significantly then up the amps in small increments until they are still good to hand touch after a hard ride.
I set my batteries to their max output and change motor settings according to the time of year.
for example. Winter, I run my motors at 100amps (manufactures recommend 80) each but in the summer drop them down to 80amps to keep them cool.

This is a general rule of thumb and not just for the set up you have now but future builds

13 Likes

thanks for taking the time to clarify this further, i had a general idea but this definetly helped seeing the bigger picture :+1:

i have yet to test the new settings because the board is in pieces right now, but im curious how those 170kv motors react to more amps and if the result is noteworthy or if they oversaturate quick

but anyways since im doing this kind of tuning for the first time, ill go in small increments like you suggested and hope that the impact with the final settings is satisfying :innocent:

1 Like

Once you understand the basic principles then its a walk in the park brother.

With motors all you need to do is keep an eye on heat. Most are capable of far more than specified but it really comes down to riding style and environment to finely tune.

good luck and hit me up if you need some help

5 Likes

so then, my quest for wheelies on take-off has finally begun :smirk:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Number 4 :slight_smile:

in his defense - he already hat a cut after 200m through the sharp pulley

4 Likes

aww cmon, its still fiiine :innocent:

2 Likes

is it?

4 Likes