Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Just seconding or thirding or fourthing others here but yes you basically just get used to it and prepare yourself and like mystical said can just ease off the throttle to let yourself slow down to a more reasonable speed gradually before letting off or trying to brake at all, one of those things you mostly forget about eventually but can easily throw you off if not considering how fast you are going and how quickly youā€™ll be braking (especially true with a single drive since it will pull to that one side when accelerating or braking more severely)

2 Likes

Thanks @wafflejock @MysticalDork @kook @Venom121212. Appreciate all the advice as usual. Iā€™m assuming also with the AWD setup the slow down is even more apparent. First time I just let go of the throttle at like 45ish thinking it would just roll. Pretty sure I had a mid ride heart attack. Gotta get that fine grain motor control down when at higher speeds and throttling down. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Increase your throttle ramp down time if you rather the ESC do this for you. The less aggressive you wish to ride, the more ramp time you can add to smooth out throttle transitions

1 Like

Is there a diference betwen vesc-x and vesc 4.12?

Never ever messed with the throttle curve settings before but this is what it is currently set as.

In terms of acceleration/ braking how does polynomial differs from exponential? Would exponential be as the name suggests more aggressive ?

So, how dow one order a pair of Surf Rodz TKP Hex trucks with some custom colors? Hereā€™s the product page for the whole set: https://www.surf-rodz.com/product-page/10mm-tkp-hex-truck-kit

They offer black and raw. Anyone knows what I get if I order one of those? Is it all black/raw, i.e. baseplate, bushing support, and hanger all in the same color? I wrote them an email but they donā€™t communicate.

2 Likes

Polynomial is more linear towards the end, curve looks like this
unnamed-1
Exponential ramps up faster at higher throttle (I prefer this for better low to medium control with full power pushes, but try both and see what you like)
images

I would up the positive ramping time to 0.6-1.0 and negative to 0.4-0.8 for smoother response.

4 Likes

Higher is totally fine and probably better for the ESC but if you are using an antispark, then increasing it can KILL your antispark. With a loopkey, add as much as you want within reason. Sometimes itā€™s a lot better to also put a small one in parallel if youā€™re increasing

example: if you have 3 x 680Ī¼F and you increase to 3 x 2000Ī¼F then probably add a 1Ī¼F in parallel with them

In general, itā€™s probably best to keep it the same amount though

2 Likes

So for my unity, going from the default 4x580 to 4x680 wonā€™t be too much for the AS?
I ask because digikey doesnā€™t have 580uf in the right voltage and form factorā€¦

I canā€™t say that will be okay. Integrated antisparks are usually designed for a certain amount of capacitance.

I was talking about higher quality modular components

1 Like

After looking at the unity againā€¦
I was wrong - the default caps are already 680uf so Iā€™ll be all good :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks as usual. Increasing the negative ramping time a bit use pretty smooth. As for the positive I think I like the low number actually I like the right when you throttle forward you goooo

2 Likes

Be careful setting the negative ramping too high - That can be extremely dangerous as I mentioned before. You can get into a situation where you need to slam on the brakes, and instead of slamming they take their sweet time. A half second can be the difference between life and death if you find yourself trying to avoid getting hit by a car, for example.

2 Likes

Fast ramp down time makes no difference if you canā€™t react fast enough. It takes time for you to throw your weight behind the board to get ready for the brake, ramp down time should match this rate. Depending on the size of the board, your normal stance and your brake strength too.

3 Likes

I agree, but I also have seen people set this setting to 1.5-3+ seconds, which is just crazy long. A few hundred ms is fine, but I recommend keeping it as short as possible.

3 Likes

True, but it also is throttle position relevant. A 1 second ramp down time is only 0.5s to zero if you were holding 50% throttle. Although I would agree that over 1 second seems ridiculously long. 0.6-0.9s is more than comfortable imo.

1 Like

human reaction time to touch is about 0.15 seconds

4 Likes

Hey, Iā€™m looking at getting a Bluetooth module that I can program my focboxes with through my smartphone instead of a laptop, so far Iā€™ve only found the metr pro and the flipsky 2.4g. Are there any differences in terms of functionality? Howā€™s the quality of the flipsky vs. metr for the money?
Are there any others besides that that Iā€™m missing?

1 Like

Might be missing it but what do you mean by Flipsky 2.4G please give a link Flipsky seems to have lots of things related to them labelled ā€œ2.4Gā€

^^ for example but is standalone doesnā€™t have an Android application or any of the features that go with that with metr.at module/app. Plus side with remote above is you donā€™t need to have your phone with you down side is everything it is missing in terms of logging, uploading to share, configuration, swipe to set modes etc. etc.

Only other app Iā€™ve really heard of others using here is the one I believe made by Ackmaniac and though it has positive reviews I donā€™t believe it is being maintained or updated (correct me if wrong anyone)

flipskys hm10 module is what he means i assume.

3 Likes