Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Apart from a difference in viscosity, is there a big difference between Loctite 648 and 680? Or is there another factor between the two that I should consider when choosing which to use for gear drives?

Also is this the loctite that needs a blowtorch to remove (i dont believe any of the listings for it mention needing heat)?

1 Like

680 is reported to be weaker. 638 is an option as well btw.

All tough loctite is not meant to be removed, or burned, we just do it anyway because what other option is there anyway

2 Likes

Ahh okay, thanks!

I was just wondering in case I want to change ratios on the BN M1s or if I decide to get the helicals Kevin is making. If i wanted to, i’d need to heat it with a blowtorch and use one of those gear pullers right?

** also, 638 vs 648?

1 Like

This isn’t really something about esk8 but i have this little buck converter for some lights. It has 4 pads to connect input and output. I know the obvious ones like IN+ and VO+ but idk where i have to connect the input and output ground. I don’t know what EN stands for. Can anyone help me?

Im guessing that the center two contacts (GND and IN+) are your inputs, and the two outer contacts (VO+ and EN) are your outputs.

Scratch that. If I understand what I’m looking at correctly, then your outputs should be connected to VO+ and then one of the pads labeled with whatever voltage you want.

There’s an easy way to check. Put some voltage to GND and IN+, then use a multimeter to check voltage coming out of VO+ and one of those other pads.

Any part numbers on that bad boy that you can use to look up a datasheet?

1 Like

hm thanks, thought i had to bridge those other pads to select an output voltage and that en was input. i’ll try it now. it’s some china shit so i can’t find any info about it

This could also be correct. If thats the case, then i would assume that EN would be your neutral out.

it’s a cute thing, 2x1cm

What kind of load are you going to be putting on it? I dont imagine that thing can handle much.

just some LEDs

What is the current draw of those LEDs? And what current is that buck rated for?

ow i forgot, this is the wrong buck converter, i’m using this one for a raspberry pi. On my board i have a 9W led and i’m using this buck converter.
It says it can handle 2A

IMO, here’s how to hook it up.

Input = IN+ and GND
Output = VO+ and GND
Enable = EN, either goes to VO+ or GND to turn on the output. You’ll have to experiment.

Those sets of bare pads are for selecting the output voltage you want. Solder together the two pads for the desired voltage. SOLDER ONLY ONE SET OF PADS.

The last set, ADJ, let’s you set the voltage you want by installing particular resistors somewhere.

3 Likes

ok thanks, all the little pads are connected to resistors and the adj one to a potentiometer

1 Like

Each different value resistor sets a different output voltage.

yes ik, i study electronics in school xd
i just didn’t know what en meant

1 Like

Our responses are often for everyone else who reads these threads as much as they are for the person they are directed to. :slightly_smiling_face:

But when you mentioned the resistors it seemed that you were doing so because you weren’t sure of their function or, perhaps, were looking for confirmation of what you thought they were for.

Mention of something you might have already known shouldn’t be taken as an indictment of your level of knowledge. It is meant merely as additional information for the thread. Perhaps it helps the OP, perhaps it only helps someone else. Either way the community is better for sharing the knowledge we have.

Hoping that board works great for you!

6 Likes

What do all the battery specs mean and represent. I know 21700 and 18650 are the cells size and also that s represents speed and p represents range but like what does amps mean. I assume it means torque? And then mah means like cell capacity so like range? Also I’m assuming you can’t pull every single amp the battery can put out?

Google has to be your friend for this one. :slightly_smiling_face: The answers would take pages.

Forget about trying to learn esk8 stuff and battery stuff at the same time. Just learn the battery stuff because it applies to every use of batteries. Then you can learn how esk8 uses batteries.

Roughly, yes.

If the battery can put it out, you can pull it out. :slightly_smiling_face:
A battery’s rating is what it is designed to deliver over and over again. It is literally why it’s called the battery’s rating.

Can you exceed the rating? Defnitely, often by huge amounts. But that increases the risk of trouble, shortens the life of the battery, and results in terrible performance.

3 Likes

Got it that makes a lot of sense. Thx for the info!

1 Like