Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

its looks like those lenovo thinkpad charger plug, but im not 100% sure

Edit: after some googling, i think its called “slim tip” for that type of port

3 Likes

In my multi purpose charger this kinda connector outputs 4’5A @ 20V so I wouldn’t go much higher than 4’5A

3 Likes

not sure if its just the limitation of ur charger, but lenovo has been pumping 8.5amps @20V with that plug on their ThinkPad W540 laptop

1 Like

It’s on a KS 18 Suspension EUC. He wants me zu build a recharge pack for him and I want to know much current the DCDC converter needs.
8A seems reasonable.

2 Likes

why do emtbs need to have top mounted batteries and electronics?

like what would happen if you tried to take a carver off road?

Clearance.

An underslung enclosure is reducing your clearance, as well as putting all your fragile electronics and batteries first in line for getting slammed into a rock or root.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it’s mostly for durability and ground clearance. eMTBs tend to be designed for true off-road use, so there’s lots of roots, rocks, and jumps along the way. Scraping the bottom of the deck is not likely to damage anything compared to catching the thin plastic enclosure next to your batteries, and same when bottoming out the board in a jump.

If it’s minor offroad like gravel or well maintained trails, it’ll probably be ok. Anything more difficult you’ll probably have a hard time staying on the board in the first place without bindings.

3 Likes

This has been my light offroad experience on my hummie with bergs

3 Likes

Hey guys, I am debating upgrading my current board with a sportster deck, and a 30t battery and enclosure from eboosted.
My current build uses a single 6374, caliber II trucks, some blue caguamas, and a torque vesc.
My question is do you guys think I will run into problems with this combo? I don’t have the money to do all of the upgrades I want to do at once, so I will have to upgrade over time. Figured I would get the biggest purchase over first lol.
Will the enclosure scrape when the trucks are mounted drop through with the 85mm wheels?

1 Like

Thats a solid combo right there. I really like it.

Only note is that 30T are not the best cell for your setup. They are really high-Amp cells, but with a single drive you dont need that. You would be better served by a 40T or P42A pack, as they will still give you high discharge capabilities, while also giving you significantly more range than 30T’s.

Or, if you are a light-duty rider who doesnt use a lot of amps (less than 40 battery amps) then you could do a pack made of Tesla Model 3 cells, and go for ultimate range.

There are lots of options for cells, so if you have any questions let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you!
Eventually I plan on adding a second motor, and doing something like the ebomber build eboosted made.
Either using a haggydrive system, or surfrodz and xtla mounts on some bergs.
I plan on using it as a short but rather overkill campus/ commuter board.
Also the 30t pack is a little cheaper lol.
Are there any other cells I should look at that would end up costing around the same as the 30t pack?

30T’s are not all that much cheaper than 40T’s or P42A’S. I would say that the more expensive cells are well worth the range increase, especially since you will still have more than enough Amp capabilities with either of those cells.

1 Like

It should be, since an equal size 40t pack has 33% more energy in it, and one made from p42A cells is even more than that.

So you could shrink your pack by 1/3 and still have the same range. So I hope the 30t cells are more than 33% cheaper, otherwise it’s still a bad deal.

4 Likes

You make a very good point, I did not think of it like that previously.

I think if I’m not mistaken, its about 14% cheaper.

At that point, it seems like it really would be worth it to save a little more and get the 40T pack

1 Like

Looking to upgrade my board to pneumatic wheels. Current setup is:
-Demonseed 42"
-TB 218 Trucks
I already picked up some TB 160mm pneumatics.

The current problem is the setup gets wheel bite which I somewhat anticipated so I’m looking for recommendations of whether I should either:

1. Change my deck to maybe an evo spectrum? I’m not sure it’ll have enough wheel clearance
  2. Find longer caliber style trucks. (Any recommendations?)

Looking for any recommendations. Thanks!

Do you have a pic of the wheelbite? How bad is it? Is that while top-mounted or drop-through mounted?

I want to suggest BN270 hangers on your same baseplates but I’m not sure how bad the wheelbite is. That specific deck can have wheelbite issues, but otherwise if you can overcome them, it’s a great deck. A tad short for me, I prefer the 44" version which is nigh impossible to find.

4 Likes

Boardnamics 270 trucks could help, but post pics pls.
Alternatively, bergs are 145mm, but currently unobtanium

2 Likes

so i can’t use this old laptop charger to charge my 12s battery…right??

1 Like

I would absolutely not try that. It needs to provide 50.4v

4 Likes

cheers :+1:
guess it’s going on ebay then

1 Like