Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Not directed at you but just for the record because it’s a noob thread, this is a terrifying idea because large amounts of stored kinetic energy are crazy dangerous. Split your board or take out a shin if it came loose

2 Likes

Yeah, fully agree. Of all the common energy storage systems, I think KE is definitely pretty high on the scary-o-meter if it fails.

3 Likes

Have we considered carrying around a large body of water on our boards?

2 Likes

Regenerative pumped-hydro?

1 Like

exactly, all we need is a bottle of water and a very tall hat

1 Like

Water cooled board? Maytech has a whole suite of Watercooled BLDC parts, including a VESC

1 Like

ssshhhhh

What are your thoughts on that? I have the same charger and while it technically works well to charge my flashlight 18650s and my remote 14500s (both LiFePO4 and li-ion4.2) it has a quirk I don’t like.

When you put a cell in, you have a very short amount of time to press the button to tell it what kind of cell it is. This seems REALLY REALLY easy for the general public or a drunk esk8 builder to screw up. I don’t know or suspect that it will stop if you select the wrong cell voltage.

1 Like

to be honest, i didn’t even know it does this until you just told me.

it at least didn’t do it when i set it to LI-fe (max 3.65v) and put a 18650 with 3.72v in. maybe it still is within it’s margin. I’ll charge the 18650 further and test it again.

1 Like

This means their user interface is even worse than I thought :rofl:

1 Like

I specifically bought this one though because I needed to charge 14500, 18650, 21700, and 26650 at two voltages: li-ion (4.2V) and LiFePO4 (3.65V) and this one does that.

I gave my other one that only charged 4.2V to someone in need.

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If you feel like buying another charger, I recommend the Nitecore I2. Similar featureset, but a better UI (you can set the voltage and current at any time, and it’s on a per-cell basis)

1 Like

yeah i use very similar cut off numbers as you. I dont even watch the voltage anymore because I installed a coulometer and just watch the % reading. but I put that 14s2p on a trampa pneumatic with a single 6380 and towards the top of a big hill I think it hit some sort of cutoff, probably soft. But whats your opinion on a 12s1p of headway lifepo4 15ah pack? Still robust even tho 12s1p? reccommended constant discharge amps goes up to 75… that should be fine for street right? i might be done with pneumatics… too much drag

Those cells should be fine in a 1P configuration, yes.

It really seems like you should be logging a ride like that to see what sort of cutoff you are experiencing. If it’s thermal throttling then a battery change will make no difference…

1 Like

40 and 38 cutoff settings. I only hit cutoff once. overall the pack is gr8. 140 amps? Do you use a vesc that can handle that much? most vescs can handle what… 80? motors can handle 80 each? just curious if you’re personal setup allows you to use 140 amps. But, i set my battery amps to like 65 with my torqueboards vesc, single drive. You think I should increase it to 80?

The VESC 6 (TB VESC) can handle 150A motor amps, but the higher the number, the sooner it will overheat and reduce power when at full throttle for prolonged periods of time… like up a hill with pnummies and a single motor.

That battery pack, at 65A battery setting, will pull 32.5A per cell. This 30A discharge chart shows that cell won’t drop below 2.85v (40 @ 14s).

So it doesn’t seem like you battery pack was the cause of reduced power up that hill unless it was constructed poorly. It may have been thermal throttling instead.

Looking at a log of the ride would confirm.

3 Likes

I think he’s using Headway 38120 cells and not A123 26650

1 Like

That’s what he wants to switch to, but I was talking about his current 14s2p. Not sure if that’s his exact A123 though…

I guess what I’m trying to say is that the whole reason for wanting to change battery packs may be based on a false assumption

2 Likes