Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’ve got a noob question since I’m an all around noob with these things.

The BKB Xenith v2.1, on the BKB site, says in the description that no IMU or CAN transceiver is placed on the pcb. Does that mean I can’t run dual Xeniths for 4wd?

Excuse the supreme noob question. Can’t seem to find a straight answer for someone like me. I’m apparently not that smart :rofl:

Yes. The only way to do it with the new one is with split PPM

1 Like

Which means I can’t run my VX2 in PPM if I do 4wd, correct?

I believe you HAVE TO run it in PPM and won’t be able to use UART. you would have a PPM split cable running to both VESCs and they wouldn’t be able to talk to eachother (this means no traction control)

2 Likes

Yes this is correct

You could only run it in split PPM, which does mean no traction control front to back

I assume that the xenith itself would still be able to do TC since its single MCU but idk really

2 Likes

if it’s based on the same designs as the unity I would assume it can still do traction control within the VESC, just not between 2 separate VESCs unless connected through CANbus

1 Like

Not worried about traction control….yet….more worried about being able to set both Xenith controllers with my VX2. So split PPM to connect both ESCs and the VX2 receiver goes where?

Thank y’all for being helpful! I’m just being paranoid and overthinking all of this since I pulled the trigger and purchased two of the Xeniths without doing my homework :man_facepalming:. Which means BKB should only have one left in stock now lol.

I would just put the receiver wherever you think the best signal will be and then split the wires, run one set to the front, and the other to the back

3 Likes

So literally split each wire off the receiver and send them to each ESC. To which port? I’m honestly confused a bit.

Again, I’m overthinking, plus slammed at work. Probably not the best time to do this type of thinking.

I know once it clicks, it’ll be one of those “well duh, dumbass” moments :man_facepalming:

Send pics here and tag me when you do it if you need help, it’s very simple, just split each cable off

1 Like

Will do. Still waiting on the ESCs to come in. Should be this Saturday.

I have a feeling once everything is layer out in front of me, it’ll all make sense.

1 Like

What drives fit on airs?
Edit: @ducktaperules @Lee_Wright purple is my favorite color and i already loved the new xenith color scheme too much lemme buy one more air truck, 1-3 of those xeniths instead of buying from bkb, and a drivetrain or 2 and i might pull the trigger on it tonight.

Gib me da purple xeniths. Gib. Now.

1 Like

@MBS what is the correct matrix II hanger direction?
Logo out / profile ‘bump’ down?

I cleaned and reassembled these without realizing that might be important.

Bonus round:
Can fivestars/rockstars be mounted either direction?
I don’t see any feature that would indicate otherwise, but worth an ask

Edit:
If the second google result is to be trusted, this CONFIDENTIAL tech drawing agrees with my assumption

as does the “owners manual” it looks like

Nailed it on your first go. Orientation correct as shown in your pic. The can be mounted either way. The main difference is that the “correct” way provides a little more strength in vertical direction and a little more meat to grind through.

Bonus Round Answer - Hubs can be mounted either way. The only difference is logos.

8 Likes

Okay, so… Why are ESC’s so expensive? From what my untrained eyes see, the collective value of components comes to probably less than 25 eur for the high-end ESCs, but since my eye is untrained, let’s make it 50eur. The boards themselves have like 3 chips on them and the rest seem like basic components. The PCB complexity doesn’t look to be all that high, it feels like anyone with a basic level of understanding in the field would be able to know what is going on. So… the parts don’t look expensive of an ESC, the engineering/research doesn’t look expensive to design an ESC, they are probably machine assembled with little manual labor… So where does the 300 eur price tag of a dual esc come from? What justifies that cost other than the fact that “people are just paying it…”?

i will start off with the first thing:

global chip shortage

5 Likes

Okay, but i’ve been sort of looking at the prices and the hated Unity (which i don’t exactly know why its hated, some drama I guess but i wasn’t here for it) was like 250 eur from what I know? And weren’t they designed literally by some random user? Why can’t the bigger companies just pay some sum to a standard engineer to design an ESC PCB for them overnight?

You can test this theory by uploading the VESC BOM & gerber files to JLCPCB.

They are a bit over priced partially because Trampa is selling their VESC as the “premium version”, and everyone else just selling slightly under that.

The other reason is scale/volume. Production boards seem to use their own in house ESCs, and the DIY community is small. Only 300-500 active users on this forum for example.

2 Likes

its a long story, just know that there are many names that u should use carefully (OG unity / blood unity / xenith / tenka), some are hated, some aren’t

no, the unity design was by @Deodand , and he is god to us

they don’t even need to, a lot of schematic are already on the internet, and someone else actually made 1:1 copy of trampa esc with way cheaper price. so why no big corp does it? because we are the smallest community there is when it comes to personal EV stuff