Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

My vesc tool will not launch. The app icon shows up but the app will not open, just shows a black screen. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled and get the same issue.
I’ve read that this happens and the work around is to use Linux os to run Vesc tool.
Any other suggestions?

Yeah I just need to cut two or grind 3 but it’s daunting. Lol. Found some perfectly puck button sized spheres at a thrift shop. But they’re just too thick to be comfortable.

Are you on Windows 10?

That happened to me once and the only fix that worked out of everything I tried, was using a different copy of Windows.

You could also make a bootable Ubuntu USB drive and use that to run the Linux version on the same computer.

1 Like

Guess this is the route I’ll have to take. Thanks @b264

1 Like

What type of lube do you guys for seating pneumies. I have one very unbalanced tire and I’d like to re-seat before I try balancing.

Looks like superlube, white lithium are all incompatible.

have you tried the version compiled by @rpasichnyk?

1 Like

I’ve never used lube to seat a tire, all my wheels are two piece

Oohh, thanks! Will give this a shot.

1 Like

Maybe I’m making a bad assumption here, but I’m thinking part of the unbalancing could be the bead simply not seating perfectly evenly on the rim. I’m hoping some lubricant on the bead would help everything settle in easily.

Maybe TB AT sunmates are just trash and I need to play the sunmate lottery some more.

Sunmates are a major lottery from what I hear. I got lucky with my set on my eovan mini at, but those are also metal rims, so it helps with the balance

From our experience selling them, the 6 and 7 inch ATs seem to be the best. Had zero complaints about them. The 8 inch ATs are ok, but the 8 inch knobblies that we got are fucking woeful. The 8 inch knobblies are branded Hota, but they came from Sunmate :thinking:

The commercial tire shops usually just use some kind of soap for bead setting.

1 Like

so I measured the differences across the balance leads and saw two numbers, 4.12 appeared 8 times and 3.78 appeared 4 times. I can double check but I don’t think there was a pattern.

The 8 higher packs will be reaching 4.2v and the bms will be cutting off the charge.

Your best bet would be to individually charge the 4 low packs up to the same voltage as the high packs and closely monitor how the cells behave over the course of a few cycles.

3 Likes

To do that I would need to get my hands on some kind of variable power supply or is there something else I could use?

Would It be feasible to make a 20s2p battery with 10A discharge cells? 20A discharge in a 20s system is enough for a skate?

If you like sag, sure. Running a cell to it’s rating is something you’re best to try avoid. Always better to try leave some head room.

5 Likes

Sure, if you limit the battery draw to 10A (or 5A per side).
But it won’t be enough for you to feel satisfied with the performance unless super low current is in your design goals.

No; see @glyphiks’ response

2 Likes

This thread has grown massive. I’m about to close it and start a new one for 2022. Please continue the conversation there. This thread will of course still be available for browsing.

11 Likes