Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

i feel like those are TB motors and the mr60 probably is a xenith :speak_no_evil:

3 Likes

I should have better said nothing :sweat_smile: :rofl:

3 Likes

Can you take a closer and higher definition photo of the particular connectors in question? Can you also take this to the CFOC2 thread like you have for other issues?

Thanks. You guys are dope. It is a Torqueboard motor and the ESC is Focbox Unity

1 Like

I’m just gonna try my hand at soldering.

1 Like

Do your research.

5 Likes

Back here, because I’ve never really thought about this :
What’s the difference between a vesc 4 and vesc 6 ? and why the architecture of the vesc 6 is superior ?
And why is the Focbox so strong even at 12s with FOC if it’s a vesc 4 architecture ?

I don’t know how many people even have this old version, so I thought it wouldn’t be as helpful for others…

But sure, will do after dinner. Just thought you’d know off the top of your head, it’s your photo after all :laughing:

3 Likes

Nope! This was many versions of several different designs ago. I have project files saved for a reason. I can look after work, but a high res close up would let me see faster

2 Likes

Has no one written an unofficial VESC tool motor setup guide?

With community recommended adjustments and safe ranges, i.e.:

• duty cycle current limit start (infamous)
  • FOC detection normal value ranges: motor current, resistance, inductance, flux
  • max brake amps
  • battery current max regen
  • what to do if the wizard assigns different values to your two/four motors? match highest, lowest?
  • Advanced Settings adjustments

There’s a lot of BOLD, RED, UNDERLINED WARNINGS in the official guide (https://www.vesc-project.com/node/938) coupled with vague usually and most times statements.

Would love people’s recommendations based on experience in our niche.

2 Likes

No good guides like that as far as I’m aware. I’ve thought about making one, but the Dunning Kruger effect holds me back. So do occasional vesc bugs – maybe when FW 5.3 comes out it’ll be stable enough for me to make a video where I don’t have to explain workarounds that’ll become irrelevant next release :laughing:

VariESC tool by Brian has a lot of good default values for things though, so I’d recommend that for new people.

5 Likes

Does the flipsky vx1 use a hall sensor (and not a potentiometer) for the throttle?

2 Likes

no, vx1 is potentiometer remote

3 Likes

Can someone physically confirm whether or not five-star rims can fit 10 inch tires?

Follow up noob Q: does FW 5.x count single MCU ESCs like unity as two and double the battery current or what? I made this mistake as well but thankfully I had a pretty conservative motor setting and a good BMS so I don’t think I’ve hurt the battery

Guess not, you need to split your battery max for each side. So if your battery does 80A, do 40A each side, using the canbus to switch to the other side and change your settings.

1 Like

Update, i’ve opened the enclosure and measured the voltages of each group via the JST connector on the BMS.

In order, group 1 to 10

This is the battery pack in question, and was built by me.

Now my question is, how should i go about rebalancing the groups back? And what causes this to happen? I’d say i was pretty careful and meticulous with the building process.

3 Likes

Easiest and least destructive way of doing it would be to find another female 13pin JST connector so you have all of the connections at hand. Then very carefully after checking 3 or 4 times, connect the first cell negative to the first cell positive / second cell negative and charge up the P-groups individually using a balance charger (imax b6 or adjustable DC power supply) at low current, I want to say 0.25A is safe but my daly wiring harness is in the garage and its cold in there.

For the prevention aspect, I dont think there is anything you can do, cells have a little natural variation off of the assembly line and our usage of the cells in combination with calendar years just accentuates difference between good and okay cells. Although it’s strange your Daly couldn’t balance this out, its not absurdly unbalanced.

2 Likes

Actually, a 0.5V imbalance is huge, absolutely huge, and indicative of a non-functioning balancer or some other big issue. There could easily be a 40% difference in capacity between some of those p-groups.

@Linny, you can also “go direct”. Slit the Kapton tape at each balancing lead solder point and, using alligator clips, connect a 4.20V charger (any type) or CC/CV power supply and charge each p-group directly. No need to deal with the harness. Then just put a piece of tape over each slit when done to seal the pack back up.

But sort out why the pack become so badly unbalanced before using it again.

3 Likes

Will do! I do not have any of these however, anyone able to point me to the direction where i can get one?