Noiseless drive : gauging interest

Sorry if I sound negative, but I’ve never seen magnetic drives/gearboxes on any real world vehicle application. Is there a reason for that?

1 Like

No worries, every input helps toward the goal man :wink:

Good question, I believe for example chain / gear / belt or direct axle are already an effective way of transmitting power reliably, and on bigger vehicles you can also kill noise with extra casing and sound deadening.

So on a quick wit I’d say : why would any company risk making a transmission with more spare parts to outsource when a vehicle is already a lot of parts & when a solution proven for decades exists ?

And of course I suppose the more weight you carry, the more torque you need and bigger magnets start getting expensive.

Or maybe test results will simply be underwhelming despite promising numbers too, which I hope not :laughing:

On a side note, the principle is very close to an electric motor principle too, so maybe instead of making gearboxes companies focus on optimiszing the motors efficiency too ?

2 Likes

Pardon the hazardous videos and check their content to see the principle of the magnetic drive :beer:

Of course it’s a no load test but I wanted to confirm wether the spinning movement itself was really possible. Next will be to determine at load the requirements in order to have zero slippage.

10 Likes

Here is some inspiration:

Good luck,
Dani

4 Likes

Nice, now do the same with two bearings close together so you can fell how much drag there is

1 Like

So I did this silly thing and cut some retainer rings… But I’m short of rings cause I made them too thin to keep wild magnets from flying all over the place so will buff up the retainers tomorrow.

1 Like

Update of the day…

I’ll make a beefed up test rig tomorrow :exploding_head:

I got a feel on what I was expecting tho. Magnets tore the rings while I was playing with a pain in the ass side polarity layout. A freakin 5x5 tiny cube worth 1kg strength vs slim plexiglass and pvc, the cube won.

Tested only 2 pole layouts so far, and it’s just beginning.

So back to starting line!

5 Likes

If I remember correctly, problem was that you cant really separate the magnetic fields.
In the end you get a induction heater/ eddy current brake.

There are ways, you can orientate and even concentrate magnetic field depending on how you orientate the magnets.

If I can’t use a simple directional layout I’ll start trying beams but it adds bulks.

I don’t think I’ll have any proper eddy current without any conducting matter like copper too so heat should not be an issue? Experiment will tell!

Edit : Actually I’ll also try axial & compare to radial vertical + radial horizontal. Or maybe do both at the same time cause science.

End game is : killing drag down and having a steady torque link.

1 Like

Small update of the day, felt creative before going to bed :bed:

I have few designs I’d like to try & I have a lot of expectations for this one. Will print later a version !

5 Likes

I still have no idea how this noiseless drive works. Looks like you are using magnets as gears, not sketchy at all

3 Likes

It’s hardly new tech. He’s applying it to esk8

1 Like

Is there something that I can Google to learn more about this.

1 Like

Permanent Magnet Motor

Frictionless magnetic drive

http://www.magnomatics.com/pages/technology/low-ratio-magnetic-gears.htm

4 Likes

:grinning:

8 Likes

How have I lived for 33 years and no one has ever given me that book. Time to step up my game they must not think I’m dickish enough

2 Likes

Here’s another must read…

How to Talk to Your Cat About Gun Safety: And Abstinence, Drugs, Satanism, and Other Dangers That Threaten Their Nine Lives https://www.amazon.com/dp/045149492X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_t6XBDbTERBXJY

:grinning::grinning::grinning:

6 Likes

that looks hot!!!

shoot it :smiley:

2 Likes

There is some good information i found here :

here :

and here:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/275580214_Magnetic_gear_technologies_A_review

IMO magnetic gear drive will not be capable of the required torque unless you are using a harmonic / strain wave configuration.

I also think that designing such a gearbox is not an easy task without sufficient knowledge about magnets and motor design.

3 Likes

wow that video you found @ducktaperules
very good.
Not sure if what is shown is exactly what is being gone for here, totally gave me a grip though
@Vanarian I see you started this quest with freewheel bearings in mind, I have been thinking about a drivetrain with freewheeling capabilities.
Using either a one way bearing and a disk brake, or a clutch that would disconnect the pulleys from the wheels re engaging for regen braking.
I have a old MBS board with what you could technically call brakes, that I could test both of these ideas on with 3d printed parts.

I would hope this would possibly give greater range on a proper longboard, not that I would be able to test that on the MBS board due to bad bearings and pneumatic wheels

1 Like