Noiseless drive : gauging interest

Here’s a story : while my brain was smoking hot on which parts I needed to select in order to build a variable AWD system with freewheel bearings, and next where and how I would put my pinions, I started thinking : what if I didn’t use pinions after all ?

Actually I’d like a maintenance free and dumbproof drive and on top, no noise (eventually I’d be ok with bearing noise). Something to do it rough without a single care and keep going at it as much as my setup and legs will let me. Kinda strong like a gear drive but maybe lighter & silent. And as simple as possible cause sometimes simple is best.

So here is the idea : would you guys consider riding a frictionless magnetic drive ?

• YAS! DO IT, JUST DO IT
  • Yes, in a dignified manner and I hope this drive system won’t look terribly goofy alongside my drink.
  • No dear, but thank you for trying.
  • F*ck NO, next!
  • That’s good smoke you got there, let’s share it (I take that as Yes)

0 voters

And in case you’d be interested, would you consider the 150€ to 250€ range to be reasonable for it :

• Yes, it’s okay
  • No it’s not okay

0 voters

Since I got limited free time I can’t run many projects all at once that’s why I’m considering launching this one and pausing another one. And if along the way it helps you build a better board for not too much and helps me spare some to finish my other projects, everyone f*cking wins and I’ll be happy.

Let me know your thoughts, I gotta go eat something I’m starving.

13 Likes

Mahlzeit!

Easy sounds good. Noiseless :thinking: not necessary needed, but might be good for the one or the other.

Frictionless? Yes please :ok_hand:

5 Likes

Wow thanks man, I’ll do my best then (rice is cooking btw so got time before going back to the kitchen) !

@Andy87 If I must make an accurate statement, it will be frictionless between the magnet pulleys but you still have the motor, bearing, tyre and road friction (I haven’t figured the absolute zero loss movement yet).

I think some machines in medical or testing environments already have magnetic transmission ; the principle lays on the same as a brushless motor : playing with magnetic force to attract / repel magnets around an axis thus creating the spinning movement.

Here it would be the motor pulley forcing its way onto the drive pulley(s) just like a gear drive, but instead of teeth you got strong magnets.

I’m not sure yet how strong magnets need to be in order not to slip, but given what we achieve with suepr small magnets in brushless motors, there is bound to be results with stronger ones (i.e. you can have a 30x15x6mm magnet exert up to 8.8kg of force and the thing weights only 21gr/unit).

Edit : After more thought, changing ratios might be achievable by changin the number of magnets and it might not be necessary to put strong magnets on every pulley. Only on the dictating pulley and the weaker ones should follow it.

2 Likes

I’m sad I can’t vote more than once :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah this sounds rad.

1 Like

For which kind of wheels/hubs you think it will work? Or let’s say for which wheels/hubs you plan to create this?

I can try and make it scalable for both flywheel / otang and AT / MTB wheels, would just need different sizes and mounts IMO

1 Like

That’s the reason why I ask. There so much wheel/hub/hanger options people use here.

1 Like

Yup you’re right. Well I think I could try and retrofit the gears on existing mounts (simplest), or re-use proven mounts designs and focus on that (higher tier work). Or make and extensible mount from scratch with modular hanger shapes (difficult but doable too, maybe the best?).

Either way, actually if somebody has spare mounts I could borrow to measure sizes, distance, holes etc it would be great !

Also IIRC there are 8 and 10mm axles, some with keyway some without (or different shape too), what’s the main consensus about the motor shaft ?

1 Like

I have spare mounts for trampa and Matrix2.
If you need any help let me know :wink:

1 Like

If you can lend them temporarily that’d be big help :beers: where are you located ?

That’s no big deal. Just this week in vacation, so could sent them only first week of September. I‘m in Russia, but shipping shouldn’t be a big thing. Took one week last time I send something to France and something like 10-12€

1 Like

It’s a no brainer. Fuck yea!

2 Likes

Most used by far is 8mm shaft.

3 Likes

If you need any help just lmk

2 Likes

Thanks man :heart: I litterally just texted you on IG lol

1 Like

:tired_face::tired_face::tired_face::tired_face: i‘m in the 10-12mm class…does it mean i‘m fat?

4 Likes

Ok let me know, in the mean time I’ll start working on the gears themselves. Have a lasercutter at work, will try some straight cuts.

Edit : There is always a way even for phat axles

1 Like

Sorry, should have said except for @Andy87

3 Likes

This is innovation. You see @moon sometimes we can use the word when it fits.

4 Likes