No lights/connectivity with focboxes

Honestly if I had known the potential for this issue I woulda just run dual Indy like I usually do anyway. So if removing the canbus chip is something that someone with minimal technical skills can do I’d rather just do that anyway.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s just the canbus chip, which can be replaced with a stronger version that doesn’t die to this (I think). I believe this is one of the changes for focbox v1.7. check under your sticker – if you have 1.7 it’s likely some other issue.

Sometimes when it blows it takes out a few other components.

There are some threads on the old forum where johnnymeduse walked people through troubleshoot.

Removed the CAN bus chip

WE GOT LIGHTS + CONNECTIVITY IN ACKMANIC! Thanks @BillGordon for walkin me through this!! PROBLEM SOLVED :call_me_hand::call_me_hand:

4 Likes

Ok, that’s pretty freaking awesome that you fixed that yourself. Cheers man🍺

3 Likes

hell yeah, thanks man I’m really stoked I don’t have to toss these suckers because I was PISSED :joy::relaxed:

2 Likes

Haha, I bet!
FWIW, I’ve run my 1.6v focboxes on dual PPM since March never had a problem. Many threads on the old forum with people blowing up their boxes with canbus…

1 Like

@Skunk

NOW I UNDERSTAND

3 Likes

Thought I would add another success story.

Had v1.6 focboxes, ran them with can bus for ages. Recently separated them to use one for a single drive build, and no blue light would show up. 5V still worked, because the receiver was blinking. Would not connect to the computer.

Opened them up, checked both sides of the PCB for burnt components: nothing.

Removed the can bus chip by cutting its legs off with pliers – now works like a charm :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hi @BillGordon, came over from the other Forum as you suggested and found this possible fix for my problem (lights on…short from my terrible wiring…lights out on FESC but BT module and Remote still getting power but in Android VESC tool all I get is “cannot find firmware, check port…” msg). Does this work on Flipsky 4.12 Singles connected via CanBus? I’m on cards 3 and 4 since I did the same of the first two cards I bought (on Amazon Prime so free returns). I can return them again but feel bad doing so as it is more than likely my fault and I would have to solder all new connections again. I’ve been trying for 3 weeks and tons of reading/using search feature on other forum so please don’t discount this as a lazy newb who doesn’t use the search feature…I’m trying man.

1 Like

Hi Richard-

I bumped your account so you can post and message now. Sending you a PM.

Welcome!

My focbox firmware update bricked on me. I bought a new focbox and when I plugged it into charged battery there is no lights. I turn off power replace focbox with bricked one and there is lights. Why does this happen?