No lights/connectivity with focboxes

got a couple of OG focboxes (singles ESCs) and they worked fine a few weeks ago. Wanted to set-up some new motors with them and the lights on both of them don’t work and I cannot connect to Ackmaniac…I have no idea what’s going on, seems especially weird since they both worked fine last time I ran them…Also the receiver lights up so there is power to them apparently. I saw this issue on multiple posts from the enertion forum but never saw the issue resolved. Will open them up and take some photos.

Were they connected by canbus and is so, at any point did you power up just one focbox with canbus cable still connected to both?

yeah can bus was connected and come to think of it I suppose one was powered on single before the second because I had to plug them in one after the other into my splitter cable, so there was a second or 2 between plugging them in in-sequence. Is it fucked??

1 Like

Most likely, sorry to say.

1 Like

anything here look goofy?

!!! Really?? Most reliable ESC my asshole!

2 Likes

If you want to know for sure, you can pull the canbus chips carefully. You’ll be back to pretty lights without them and can set up your control through pwm or dual receivers.

1 Like

It doesn’t show any external damage.

1 Like

@b264

Brian owns 47,312 focboxes.

2 Likes

Ugh, what a bummer…Well thanks @BillGordon does it make sense that it would kill both ESCs if connected CANBUS?

1 Like

Yup. Both die.

1 Like

Can you highlight the CANBUS chip and give any tips on removing it?

Got a photo of the other side?

The Focbox whisperer is here.

Nah, but they are nice ESCs. Unfortunately, because they are fucking discontinued in favor of some crappy dual that doesn’t run stock firmware.

2 Likes

Peel up the QC sticker and see if they’re hw version 1.7. If not, when you power up, do any of the chips get hot? When I blew my canbus, the voltage regulator chip would get very hot right away.

1 Like

When does this problem occur?
I thought it was when you unplug the canbus when both are connected. But if you connect one at a time it would fry them too?
(I guess I repeated myself in the other way but just wanted to make sure)

usually if vesc are connected by canbus, turning one on or off without simultaneously turning the other on/off.

For me xt60 worked itself loose on one vesc.

Yeah @b264 I’ll take some photos when I get off work tonight if the back

1 Like

I killed a set of focbox’s via canbus. Except mine died mid ride. I bought a shitty xt60 spliter from amazon and it cracked do to a cold solder joint killing the canbus. I sent them to my buddy @ThermalM16 and he fixed them for me but not sure if he has anymore spare canbus chips.

1 Like