Nkp 3-link Production.

SRB is a company (Stooge Raceboards) while NKP is a truck configuration, also sometimes called 3-links.

5 Likes

Got a follow up video, having my buddy Riley take a look at the 3 Link, and sharing his thoughts and questions.

The plan originally was to have some time to really sit down and get some time with the trucks and for me to actually set them up properly, and do a proper sesh at a proper hill.
But he had his car break down and put a halt to all that, so we ended up with this impromptu impressions video instead.

Riley you’ll see has a much more interesting and unconventional take than even I do.

7 Likes

at 6:30 it makes it seem Riley has not seen Parallel Kingpin trucks like APEX AIR, PSYCHOFRAME and possibly PARALL also…

Raising COG is an interesting proposition. I guess I would want to clarify you mean the Raising COG to be of mechanical linkage to the steering of the truck? You could put a truck lean sensor and hook it up to a gearbox driven version of the PSYCHOFRAME suspension as a drop in solution to the current 3-Link/PKP design.

mmmmmm integration

7 Likes

Riley actually doesn’t really do Internet much. I think he even spent most of 2020 without a TV in his apartment. He’s either Working, or he’s outside on a bike/board, Or he’s in the shop making something with his Welder or Sewing Machine.
So all the stuff he sees from the forums and stuff I usually have to show him. I hadn’t seen the Parall yet though.

But we are both aware the family of trucks that have a bushing seat for both pivots, instead of a bushing seat and a pivot cup. I’ve not come up with a good name, they don’t need to have parallel kingpins. The first ones I saw were TKP inspired and had two kingpins at two angles.
Though I guess if you were to think about it more like schematic language, they’re acting in parallel rather than being necessarily physically arranged in parallel, I guess that name actually works rather well.

Does that mean we can call Double kingpin trucks Series Kingpin Trucks?

Can we get some series parallel kinpin trucks going?

Anyway, Riley’s question was really about doing away with the spherical bearing ( even though he said bushing ). He’s asking about that because bushings are cheaper and easier to get for skaters, and it would offer a more comfortable ride. And also to ask what intrinsically is different about the joint you get from the spherical that you don’t get from bushings.

In this case, you could totally just replace the spherical bearing with a bushing seat. But of course the spherical provides total support for the riders weight, and with that bushing orientation it would be rather difficult for the bushings to do that. Rider weight would sideload the bushings, and you’d have to have a really restrictive seat to keep the bushings from just sliding out.

You could also flip the bushing seat orientation, and instead of a the spherical coming out of the baseplate you just have a normal kinpin sticking out. You stack on a bushing, you stack on the hanger/bushing seat, and you stack on a bottom bushing. It would look way more like a traditional truck, and now the weight of the rider pushes the bushing into the seat rather than sliding it out.But the wacky thing is the pivot angle and the kingpin angle would be out of alignment, which is something TKP trucks do, But what would make it really wacky is as you adjust the pivot angle of the trucks through moving the two linkages, it wouldn’t change the kingpin angle. The higher angle you put in, the less bushing engagement there would be. Kinda fun idea, but I think mostly makes the truck less versatile.

For the raising COG, we’re just saying “What mechanism could you stick in there so that as you turn the COG of the deck gets higher?”, in a very open ended way. And yeah you could do that with a sensor and a gearbox. But the way we’ve always approached a raising COG is by increasing the distance between the hanger and the baseplate.
Part of the question is, if you made it so that the axle moved up and down somehow and wasn’t constrained in the main spherical, does that stop the other two linkages from working?
If you were to free the axle I don’t think it could move up and down in a straight line, it would have to move perpendicular to the pivot angle, and it would have to travel in a circle around the point where the two linkages join on the Baseplate.
It’s a pretty unwieldy question, but it does lead to some pretty interesting exploration.

3 Likes

Moving to appropriate thread
3-Link Truck Designs

@MoeStooge What is the diameter of the 67T gear drives?

Thank you

1 Like

103.4mm

8 Likes

I will say, these gears feel awesome in hand and are super easy to set up. Pop them on the axle, screw it to the hubs, pull it off and your good! Perfectly centered.

5 Likes

What did you use for spacers?

2 Likes

@SmokeNEsk8 Flat or split will work for spacing.

5 Likes

The front axel is rotating with the motor plates. Does that mean these nuts should be tightened or is there something else I should check out?

3 Likes

nice chains. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Benja
This will help you out. Blue Loc-tite and tighten very firm on the radius rod mounting bolts.
Bushing swap

Chain drive looks bitchin

5 Likes

May i ask which motors these are?

They look like ones from castle creations to me, thought I could be wrong.

1 Like

does anyone make a sealed gd for this?

or possibly a simple acrylic (see through) piece to attach on top? (laser cut locally)

BN. it will cost a bit more than 300 dual.

4 Likes

when is it being released?

October

10 Likes