NKON Nickel quality issues *Solved 04/09/19*

Lucky you! My order was 07/08 but only for 20meters. So they cut it off from a bigger spool.

1 Like

Ah so you have the same roll as me then.

1 Like

Think we need a 2 hours window with 60% discount storewide on NKON as compensation

6 Likes

@Lee_Wright i have been thinking about the steel plated nickel and im not sure its an issue if you still use your cells welded with it. It seems like most 18650 have steel case anyway so it shouldent rust in pack any faster than the cells them self will rust and this is has never been a problem so far unless you get water directly in your pack.

1 Like

We have pure nickle can offer friend. Is 99% pure. We can ship to you direct from China. If rusting give you all your money back.

6 Likes

For 10mm wide pure nickle 0.2mm thickness is roll of 2.92kg is $106 USD plus ship.

For cut 4P 0.15mm pure nickle is 1kg $84 USD plus ship.

3 Likes

Pure Nickel Strip,10m (1Roll) ofā€¦ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P41W5LX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Passed my scratch salt water test for 4 days 0 signs of rust

I also have received what doesnā€™t seem to be pure nickel from my last order from nkon.
I bought this strip: https://eu.nkon.nl/accessories/battery-solder-strip/nikkel-batterijpack-verbinding-soldeerstrip-27mm.html
Here is the strip after around a day in salt water:

I also tested my other nickel strip that I got from nkon in another order and that one is fine after days in salt water.

3 Likes

I had the same issue with nkon shipping. It took 3 days for it to get to germany, then it took 6weeks yo ship to me. I sent a email to nkon asking whatā€™s up and they said " the business in Germany does this as a favor and they are currently moving their business ". Thatā€™s fine and all but they should let us know ahead of time if itā€™s going to take longer then the ā€œup to 3 weeksā€. I would have rather payed $1 more per cell and got them soon from liionwholesale.com so I could ride sooner during summer they should have a option to send it faster that isnā€™t a ā€œfavorā€ even if it costs a little more $$.

1 Like

This is not the first time I hear the quote from NKON ā€œthe business in Germany does this as a favorā€.
It sounds ridiculous. You run a business and rely on favors? The only favor I ask from a friend is to
buy me an ice cream, not to ship battery cells all over the world. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Iā€™m waiting on a shipment made at the beginning of august, I saw that they took a holiday. Seems like they have a backlog to work through. Wish they had options for shipping or at least accurate predictions.

It would be cool if they could partner with a US shipping company somehow to offer much better shipping.

I think the lesson of the day is always test your nickel strips regardless of who is the vendor.
I got lucky. This is after days in salt water.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s a thread for that :wink:

1 Like

This is all quite worrying, NKON is a company I would have expected to test for this without fail. Shakes your confidence a bit.

3 Likes

And still not sorted out for me. Arjan has promised me a refund and said he will look at cells but hes gone quiet - I gather he is trying to sort things out. I see some nickel is now OOS on his site - at least we can see from that what was affected.

Iā€™d imagine he is on the way to his supplierā€™s place with a baseball bat :smirk:

14 Likes

I corrected it for you.

1 Like

Yeah, it really triggers me when I read that in the emailā€¦ The context in which he writes that and the way he writes that it comes of as ā€œDonā€™t even think about complaining about shipping, someone is already doing a favor of shipping your orderā€

I think he meant Honkball batā€¦ shouldā€™ve left it. Good olā€™e honkballā€¦ oh those were the days.

1 Like