Newbee helical 4GS gear drive!

I have the same question as well.

They are directional, so orientation should matter.

1 Like

I found this pic further up when he released the newer gen. The little honeycomb logo is on the top side of the drive it appears. However @Ean.esk8 can confirm

3 Likes

I had mine upside down but I didn’t notice any difference.
One thing I noticed the motor pinion gear needed to be spaced out from the housing or it would hit the outside cover and be super tight to move. Added 2mm gasket and it’s fine.

1 Like

Hey, The 4gs logo was the gen 2 version. For installing the existing gear drive, ensure the hexagon logo is on the upside.

2 Likes

please ensure you have the gear drive direction right, this will effect the uselife of these gears.

5 Likes

#metoo @Ean.esk8 so that’s, at the very least, 3 of us here that wanna run Urethane on 4GS. Do you believe that this could become a reality sometime soon ?

:ok_hand: :wink: :metal:

3 Likes

Can confirm, would be interested so long as its able to achieve atleast a 3:1 reduction and give clearance for 100mm wheels (would not complain if they were even smaller though)

5 Likes

What grease are you guys using on these? Recommendations?

1 Like

we willing to do that, but we are saving our budget to build our completed board.

5 Likes

whoa u guys doing a complete? thats gonna be killer :smiley: looking forward to it

2 Likes

3 Likes

Using the same one. If I remember correctly early in the thread Ean says he uses PTFE grease which gives him insanely low wh/m with the gears. From my own use, it seems to have very low rolling resistance.

2 Likes

:eyes::sweat_drops::biting_lip:

Say what now?

1 Like

you will see that in the middle of this year :metal:

6 Likes

urethane gear drives are coming soon right? :nerd_face: @Ean.esk8

1 Like

In case some folks didn’t already see @Ean.esk8’s post on FB, Ethan is now offering the drives with steel secondary gears. I just replaced the gears in a customer’s board where the POM gears got broken from moderate off-road usage. I was actually riding behind the guy when the breakage happened and he wasn’t going very hard although it did involve a short steep climb and then trying to get over a small tree root at the top and the setup did have 10" tires and a pretty torquey setup so probably a decent load on the gears.

I am hoping that with the new setup the wheel gear won’t break. I’m still confidently using the all-POM 4GS on a number of boards and some other customer boards (not off-road builds) and am also in the middle of setting up 4WD 4GS on one of my mountainboards with the all-POM gears.

11 Likes

First 4WD 4GS? I took this out for the maiden voyage today. This was previously 4 x Jump Drive on Matrix III with 63100s on the rear and 6384s up front. Now 4 x 4GS (44/11) on RTKP with 7070 110 KV all round.

This was some of the most fun I’ve had riding a board off road in a while. I’m taking it to some tough trails tomorrow and can’t wait to find something that it can’t tackle, although having done the trails on my mountain bike, I know that indeed there will be some things with big rocks it won’t be able to get over.

With the insane torque and these aggressive 10" tires it just ate up everything on my usual local off-road test trails. So plush over big tree roots. Really feels it almost has independent suspension with a pretty flexy 15-ply Trampa deck, 20mm TPU truck risers, and these crazy tires at 10 psi.

9 Likes

I want to custom-mount wheel hubs from a scooter or go-kart for 10" tires on my board; assuming the BCD spacing and bolt sizing is different, is it possible to get your standard wheel adaptor specs to machine custom hub adapters? (I’m likely going with either 5" or 6" diameter rims because the tire options for those wheel hub sizes are far higher quality, having been designed for the scooter and go-kart markets)

My initial thought is 3/6-bolt brake rotor mount on 6" hubs; lots of hubs have these and they tend to be consistent BCD…

Alternatively, I could go full-on 10x4.5-5 go-kart/one-wheel tires, but I’m pretty sure handling would be pretty crap on pavement; you don’t need that much grip and turning would likely be harder with the extra wide contact patch

The 4GS wheel adapters fit MBS standard bolt pattern of 80.3mm diameter (4mm holes).

Understood; I want to design and machine my own to match the wheels I want to use. Is the soft coupler design published somewhere where I can build my own? I’m looking at 6x 6mm bolts or 6x 13mm bolts; (haven’t measured my hubs yet for perfect BCD measurements)

(This is the only reason I have not yet ordered a set of drives)