New SS build - dv6s vs dv100s max4/5 (Volts vs Amps)?

Took advantage of some deals to get a long track race board ready. Ordered the Super Spine deal from stooge already.

Edit: Going a different route than previously planned. Might upgrade in the future, but still need to work on skill before pushing some of the power you guys are putting out. Old build plans still at bottom.

Deck & Trucks: SS super spine. Got from a blackfriday sale, and the spine itself is something unique that I’ve been wanting to build around.

Wheels: Linnpower NEXT rims & tires. Won these at the ESK8Con raffle. Have heard good things. Seems decent on the bench. Have talked with them a bunch and have great support.

Motors: Reacher 205 kv (might go 245kv). Need to push a lot of amps. Makes sense to go reachers instead of outrunners with the Dv6s.

Drive: Stooge open gear drives. Still fine tuning ratio, but it’s going to be something like 17-20T & 78T. Doesn’t get much better than straight cut gears. Price isn’t too bad either. I’ve become addicted to the sound and don’t want to go back. That said, I wish they were a little quieter for night riding. Linnpowers gears would be my next choice if there was a gear ratio that matched my needs. Unfortunately, they need more intrest before more options become available.

Battery: 12s7p molicel 42b. Seems the dv6s maxs out around 12s6p (depending on how hard you push the cells). The 7p allows for less of a drop and more range. Also, it’s about $55 usd more compared to a 6p. 45b put on hold to save some $.

Remote: Duel Trigger z.mote. Currently using one already with a build and love it. Kamens a great guy with a good product. It’s a little big for my hands, but I’ve adjusted enough.

ESC: Dv6s. Had it laying around from a build I was already planning, but decided against. Just saves me some $, but makes gearing a little difficult with 12 & gear drives.

Charger : already have an adjustable charger from spiderbatterysystems for 12s. Again, more $ savings.

Old plan :

Deck - tomiboi deck with stooge super spine.

ESC will either be a d100s, max4, or max5 g2.

Going with 45bs again. 34A per p group.

Possible battery configs I’m considering are 16s6p, 14s7p, 12s8p. The 14s7p has 2 more cells than the others.

Motors 2x 245kv reachers or 2x 70125s ~560kv.

The max4 & 5 can only handle 12s, however can push a ridiculous amount amps.

D100s has a max battery amps of 100 per side. 6p at 34A per p group maxes it out.

Going the d100s route, I can utilize the battery to the fullest by using a higher voltage. The downside is that it can only push 200 max phase amps per side.

Going the max4/5 route, I can push more battery amps (about 36A a side more than the d100s) to fully utilize the battery. The max 5 can push 250 continuous phase amps per side to the motors. However keep in mind the motors to be paired with these are ~560kv.

Maybe I’m over thinking this and should just focus on the max amount of watts I can deliver to the motors.

4 Likes

Id go with reachers and max out motor amps. Alongside a gearing ratio such as 16/78 or higher ratio. I use 245kv motors from radium. They dont posses a lot of torque so you need to adjust an expo throttle map setting if you want extra punch but once you pass 10kmp/h the power really starts to kick in and its a whole other beast.
12s8p with a dv6 would be the best. Max amps and let them scream.

Hopefully that helps a little mate.

2 Likes

Thanks man.

The Dv6 maxs at 100A per side like the d100s. Anything above 6p only really helps with battery sag at that point I believe. Better to increase voltage and still use 100A.

The 12s8p pack would work best with one of the MAX ESCs that handle a lot more amps.

Reacher 6485 250kv motors are rated for 150A max. I’m not sure what the other motors are rated for, but I’m assuming 300A continous since they are paired with the max4. Something I’m still looking into.

(Keeping in mind battery amps are different than motor amps).

1 Like

D109s can do 290 per side, 100a continuous.

I think your 0 key is broken

1 Like

100 battery max per side.

Which one is the max ESC is that the new one under development?

There the max 4 which is a little older, and the max 5 g2 which just came out this year. Honestly I’m leaning towards the max4 g2.

1 Like

Oh this is the Hobbywing ESC I see. Yeah definitely can push more amps. I suppose you’re not constrained by size cause they’re bulky.

1 Like

Yup Hobbywing. I’d mount it on the outside.

Do you plan to go super single or 2 560kv?

2x 560kv since the stooge blackfriday sale was for a duel, and not single (slightlydifferent decks for the two versions). Kinda do wanna try single though.

Are you doing LiIon or LiPo?

From what I’ve seen I really like the TomiBoi look more than the other one.

2 Likes

Li-ion. Molicel 45b.

I’ve been waiting for that deck since he started working on it back when. I’m not 100% sure if it’s the exact same verson tomiboi sells separately, so I need to check on that too.

1 Like

Curious why not LiPo now that you’re going max4, curious?

putting a BMS and a traditional battery build is what @Mbrady did. and it’s nice and easy to charge up. one connect. cons are slightly more weight. slightly less trivial hot swap packs.

4 Likes

This is my main reason.

1 Like

I think @tuckjohn did a one connect to charge his lipos :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But his harness is crazy I guess lol.

Cool, look forward to the build.

1 Like

How much experience do you have with VESC and Hobbywing boards?

I’d recommend riding both of them before you commit to one or the other. They are very different.

The performance difference is immaterial until you have spent years dialing in your race craft, so I’d go with whatever setup suits you best in other ways.

If you plan on riding this board outside of racing, you might choose VESC over HW.

3 Likes

A few vesc builds under my feet & a floatwheel.

Biggest issue I had was dialing in throttle curve with some remotes.

No real experience with HW escs besides the production boards that use a version of them.

Don’t have an option of trying anything more until esk8con.

I do plan on riding it outside of racing, but that’s actually why im leaning towards a HW esc since it is more water & dust resistant.