New Lacroix Model -> Nazare

The lasy or the suit?

2 Likes

About 12S being the sweet spot… (13-14S more realistically being the “ceiling”) 12S is more conservatively the most reasonable ceiling.

Is 12S really the sweet spot? Or is it just the current ceiling, making it the ideal sweet spot? Will all these FOCers or something else change the game when 20-24S can be the new top end in terms of voltage?

At that point I’d be begging for 48+t instead of 32t flywheel pulleys or sub 50kv DDs.

9 Likes

From a purely electrical design standpoint, we want to trend to higher voltage and build the rest of the drivetrain around that. There’s a reason ebikes and other PEVs, and full EVs run higher voltage. Curious to see what the sweet spot ends up being as we progress the tech.

From a production board design standpoint, 12S is a natural progression and hopefully a standard, but by no means a ceiling.

8 Likes

Tesla used 680V for a brushless motor coolant pump…so it’s definitely possible to go hella high voltage with this stuff

2 Likes

But probably not feasible, or safe, at eboard scale.

4 Likes

To expand on this, I think the next logical step for eboarding technology is building out better power systems overall. I’m talking more advanced BMS and more standardized battery solutions. Hoyt St Electric has a great example of where I hope power technology trends.

Personally, with the price of Supercapacitors coming down dramatically, I’m excited to see the first applications of them on PEVs. Think of it as being able to turn on an ‘eNOS’ system and have a 100wH supercap cluster to boost at 14S, capable of sourcing more amps than you’d ever need. We’re already seeing this in EVs, and the tech can be scaled down given the lighter frames we work with.

4 Likes

Both. Haven’t tangled with curls in awhile.

2 Likes

18s8p

@Arch

3 Likes

Yeah I know the Arc guys personally and this whole UL certification thing has definitely been a pain in terms of manufacturing and design because of the points you mentioned above. Especially the cost of the damn things PER board. Anyway from what I understand about the UL certification process here, they audit the entrie manufacturing process, assembly and design of the entire board not just individual components. That being said they are commited to it purely because they are based locally which is really something the local community here is grateful for.

It just sucks for DIY guys and other brands who dont have the economies of scale to be able to justify the cost of UL. So far i think the only news of companies working on UL certification for the Singapore market are Arcboards and Evolve.

2 Likes

So it’s settled! 12s is for people who like to keep decent power below 50%. 10s is for people who dramatically don’t like power below 50%

That was easy

1 Like

This is actually good news for me because i’m going to be building their orders state side. If they are ULing then they have some serious confidence in their potential growth which means business will be good for me as well. Maybe i can finally get a bigger shop somewhere on the west orange trail one day.

7 Likes

Everything said here about UL is so painfully accurate.

I really hope nobody gives them money to certify anything esk8 related. ETL needs support and we need other players in the field to break the Pinkerton chokehold UL maintains.

I think that Baja is an phenomenal board but it’s overcomplicated. They should simplify it a little.

1 Like

The new mini is quite simplified. But still a lot to maintain.

1 Like

Do you know when we will see pics or specs of the new Baja mini?

1 Like

Definitely within the next week. With any luck I’ll be able to tell you how it handles jumps in the same time frame!

1 Like

I don’t understand Baja Boards. They’re so big and bulky there is only one reason in buying it, off roading. And at that point, I’d just (If that makes sense).

Their competitors seem like a better choice in all categories. If you’re gonna drop 2500-3500 dollars on a board, I’d pick the the Nazare.

I don’t know much about the board, but it seems like it only stands out for its different look.

2 Likes

Is this a Lacroix thread or BMW or Baja Boards?
try to focus now…

9 Likes

I came in half way through and had no idea what the thread was about. Had to check the title. lol

5 Likes

Hey @Arch, are you getting some of these bad boys to the Paris event? They would sure look good racing through the AT cave course.

7 Likes