New incomer (Need help with my first build)

Hello, I’ve never built an electric skateboard but I’ve always wanted one.
I want to travel around my city and not die from a sidewalk crack/pothole.
There is a little bit of incline and decline in my area but no massive hills.

Budget: 1.5k-2k CAD (Roughly 1.2k-1.5k USD)
Weight: 80kg
Height: 5’9/5’10
Top Speed: 35-40km/h
Distance: Around 25km travel
Board: Medium to Long (Approx. 32in+)

4 Likes

Hey guys, Alex is a friend of mine. Do give some tips and parts choices if you can!
Any battery builders in Canada able to come through?

Assuming you want to go for a dual drive, here’s my suggested parts

Drive train :

Wheel pulley :

Wheels :

Motors : https://diyelectricskateboard.com/products/electric-skateboard-motor-6355-190kv

ESC :

5 Likes

The 16" spring trucks with pneumatic is the only way to go. Makes potholes and railroad tracks almost unnoticeable!!. I.got mine off yakresearch.com. they were 25 a truck. But a 250 minimum order. Ebay sells same for 100. Or their is powerkiteshop.com. they Have some MBS and trampa Trucks I believe as well slightly cheaper than manufacturers sites even. I use 200mm. Big for some. Trampa Gummies look nice though. Sorta a hybrid. Those with spring trucks may have similar effect.

This was $170 enclosure. 175 batterys. 228 unity. 50 bms. Individually bought. Massivestator.com has unity. Bulkbattery.com is where I got 30qs at 3.75 each. Eboardsperu.com for enclosure. Ebay for bms. My deck veneer wood cost say 40 bucks roarockit.com 50.for 2 trucks 5 for griptape 61 for 4 wheels full. Flipsideboardshop.com I can get all my materials for less than 1.2 for sure for my builds. Never fave planted on pneumatics!! Ever!! And you can ride across parks and grass. Regular wheels ur stuck for national park rides.

Welcome to the forum! I suggest you start here:

The first questions you should answer are:

1. Do you want to spend time and money (on tools / spare parts) building a board, or buy one that’s already complete?
  2. What type of board do you want? An urban carver on pneumatic wheels to use no matter the weather or road, or a smaller, cheaper board on urethane wheels that’s easier to carry around, but might not replace your car?
  3. Once you know what are your goals, if you aren’t 100% set on building it yourself, check what’s already available for purchase. Brands like Hoyt, Metroboard, Lacroix, Flux, Bioboards, etc. are ones we easily recommend on here because of the quality and serviceability of their boards.
  4. If none of those match your budget / needs, you can talk to one of the professional board builders on this forum (@longhairedboy comes first to mind, I’m blanking on the others at the moment :sweat_smile:)

or you can build it yourself!
5) If building yourself, you should first read everything there is to know on this forum (basics about gear ratios, electronics, soldering, etc.), and then pick your parts in this order:

• helmet (and other protective gear, I recommend gloves as a must)
  • deck
  • enclosure
  • drivetrain
  • battery
  • ESC
  • remote

Reason being, that picking parts in a different order may mean you never find a compatible deck / enclosure to house your other parts / be compatible with your drivetrain :slight_smile:
Also: I recommend planning a build solely with parts readily available. Waiting over a year for that 1 last part isn’t worth it :stuck_out_tongue:

Ask questions here or in the noob question thread once you’ve done your share of reading! And enjoy your stay :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Alexander :canada: There’s a lot Of options

This is your first steps to building your board personally for you a 36 evo on some bergs could be cool :sunglasses:
@Flasher @Arch @Blasto @JohnnyMeduse can probably set you up with used GOOD parts for your first build or at least put you in the right direction
Good luck :call_me_hand:

1 Like

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_Summer

He’s technically Canadian but cheating. Hes literally a bridge walk from Detroit USA :rofl:

Edit: that map makes it look like he’s your Canadian neighbor from the south :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

:rofl: that’s really close I don’t know any Michigan riders let’s get this man started :v:

2 Likes

Any battery builders able to ship to Canada? Or if there’s any Canadian battery builders around.

If anyone has a Unity on hand they would like to part with, that would be good too, than to get one from Jason (yuck)

Also he linked me this deck,

1 Like

Best I can do is link to Toronto and Ottawa esk8s pages on Facebook. Maybe someone there will be available to build one as the season is ending

Not sure if @Flashgod224 might be too busy currently with all the Lacroix business, but he’s our go to builder here with decent prices

2 Likes

Im literally driving across iowa right now to Michigan. Haha. No shit.

1 Like

Yo bro welcome! I’m way west in Berta, always cool to see some new Canadian peeps. Deck and enclosure are super important. If anybody has a hummie, that would be an epic place to start. Also, maybe someone has a deck for this fella too? :stuck_out_tongue:
You might not have to build a battery. @PickSix24 is selling an amazing battery for dirt cheap. If he’s willing, one could ship ground with fedex or ups or whoever. Cost is a bitch, but still super cheap due to the kindness of picksix selling battery for so cheap. It fits a hummie for sure, and likely many more enclosures. Would get your build off to a great start.

3 Likes

Hello everyone! Thank you for being so humble and welcoming me into the community when I barely know shit lmao.

Also what kind of belt should I get with 16:40 teeth? (Motor:Wheel)

So far these are my components that I’m looking forward to get.
Deck - (Looking for one base off the battery once I 100% receive it)
Enclosure -(Looking for one base off deck)
Battery - 12s4p Built w/ Derelict Robots Compact PCB, Molicel P26a 35amp Cells from my man PickSix24
Drive Train - BN220 Fixed Angle Precision Trucks + Idler Motor Mount Kit
Motor Pulley - HTD5M Steel Motor Pulley (16T)
Wheel Pulley - Press Fit Wheel Pulley (40T) (Dual) (Kegal)
Wheels -110MM TORQUE WHEELS (TB110)
Speed Controller - GO-FOC RETRO ------BASED ON OFFICIAL VERSION VESC4.12 3-12S – FROM MAKER-X
Motor - ELECTRIC SKATEBOARD MOTOR 6355 190KV
Power Switch - Remote on/off Solid State Switch (Don’t know if I need a custom solder connector/Switch extension cable)
Remote - Hoyt St Nylon Puck
Soldering - TS100 Mini Portable Smart Programmable Electric Soldering Iron Digital LCD Display Original Replacement Tip High Frequency 65W

Going to invest in an Iron Stand, Solder sucker and maybe a Brass tip cleaner
This is my first project and I want to take it slow so I don’t think I’ll get this built soon even if I have all of the components. (Also got classes)

5 Likes

@Boardnamics any idea what belt length to go for? He’ll be using your idler belt drivetrain with 16/40

1 Like

325mm or 330mm.

4 Likes

I think this is a good deal for your build :call_me_hand:
Hummie Deck and Enclosure- $150

• Custom stain and glass frit grip by yours truly
  • The frit grips hard.
  • Comes with a Psychotiller ABS two piece enclosure. I patched a few holes in it with scrap ABS and ABS cement.
  • Has a 5.5mm x 2mm barrel jack glued in place. Also has a 19mm hole.
  • The deck cutout was expanded a little bit.

5 Likes

Ahhhhhhhhh shit! This build is getting real!!! @Alexander, this would be perfect! Your first build will be like most folks second or third! Excited for you buddy.

5 Likes

lol

3 Likes

Which CAD program are you using for this? Clever way to calculate belt length

1 Like