New Hoyt remote. Too aggressive.

I have an OG Lacroix Nazare. Still running a Unity ESC and up until now I was using a VX1 remote. I dropped the remote and it stopped working. I went ahead and got another (never was a fan of the Hoyt). But I figured I’d open up the old VX1 and try and fix it. I found the trouble and I have to say I was shocked and scared to use the VX1 anymore. Even the new one. Those wires are away too fragile.

So anyway I figured I’d bite the bullet and get another Hoyt Puck and use on of the shells (I have a Poastmote coming). So I installed the receiver and calibrated both the motors and the remote. Works great but using the ramping from the VX1 seems too aggressive. I’d like a smoother ramp up to speed. I really don’t know how to go about it. I’m still using the old FW and as such use the Focbox Unity app. If anyone can give me some parameter that would mellow out the acceleration I’d appreciate it.

1 Like

Positive ramping time and throttle curve are what you’re after.

You calibrated the puck in the top speed mode right?

6 Likes

Calibrate after it vibrates 3 times on pressing mode

4 Likes

Yes. I did the calibration of full acceleration and full stop. Is the throttle curve just something you play with until you get it the way you want it?

And it was calibrated in mode 3 on the remote.

2 Likes

Yep, exactly. If you want a softer take off, move the slider on the right down and/or increase the positive ramping time. They do different things but ultimately feel similar.

1 Like

Yes. I’m surprised you find the puck too aggressive though; it has aggressive brakes but a very dead forward throttle, so I usually use the curves to make it more aggressive :person_shrugging:

My personal settings (ONLY FOR THE HOYT PUCK), which make the throttle start off slow and safe, and then get more aggressive toward the end:

And I use 0.1s positive and negative ramping time, because I like my remote responsive.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s what I was after.

1 Like

Well I maybe ahead of myself. I really haven’t had time to actually ride it properly. I just threw the receiver in and took it out. Just seemed aggressive right at the start. The top end (which I don’t want to lose) was fine. Just seemed a little jerky at the start. And that might just be because I’m not used to the stiffer springs on the Hoyt.

1 Like

Not sure if I understand properly, it looks like your settings and your first comment make the remote more aggressive at low throttle settings. But the second comment is that it’s a gentle takeoff and ramps up later, is it the first one?

2 Likes

I dialed the positive ramping time way up on mine, was the magic sauce I was looking for. But I’m a very conservative rider.

2 Likes

Bingo. Positive expo curve means more throttle output early on in the throttle pull, less output towards the end.

Negative exponential would be for a soft takeoff while still having accel at speed.

Positive ramping time just stretches the throttle curve out on the x axis, derivative style.

2 Likes

@crawdad Are you left handed?

If you are right handed, and think the default linear throttle curve feels aggressive, I would be surprised.

The puck is well known to be more aggressive on the right-side movement of the potentiometer. This means more aggressive braking for right handers, and more aggressive throttle for left handers.

Compensating with throttle curves does a good job of dialing in your preferred feel.

1 Like

It comes with a 0.5 spring as standard but they also sell a 0.35mm spring if you want a softer movement iirc that’s what LaCroix use

1 Like

Interesting question. I am left handed and use the remote in my L hand. So when you do the calibration at full acceleration and full brake it doesn’t even out that? Honestly I didn’t notice the braking but again I only took it for a short ride just to make sure it worked and noticed that the acceleration was aggressive.

1 Like

Excellent. I’ll look into that. Thanks

1 Like

This is why it feels aggressive.

Calibration does not affect this. It’s just how the puck be.

Adjust the throttle curve to suit your preference.

This is also why people are surprised that you are saying it’s aggressive, because they are right handed and their experience is the opposite of yours. To right handers, the puck feels way less aggressive on stock settings. Many people increase the throttle expo to make it more aggressive.

Aggressive aggressive aggressive aggressive

1 Like

If you hold the “R” it reverse the orientation for left and right hand if you’ve got the default puck shell

3 Likes

The puck does not have a linear throttle curve in its firmware. So although my settings make it more aggressive at low throttle, it is still more mild than linear. Hope that clears things up

4 Likes