New Build, Which DD? Boundmotor, TB, something else?

I’m in process of a new build and I want to use DD motors. Which is your guys favorite right now and why? Please reply.

1 Like

eLofty DDs had a lot of problems when they first came out. So I went with TB DD. But now if you read that thread, you’ll see that everyone has issues eventually, possibly harder ones to even fix.

Personally I would not buy any of the current DDs available. Hub motors, if I had to. But if you put a gun to my head and force DD, then I’d go with the Boundmotor/elofty. At least if it breaks, you might be able to fix it / you didn’t lose as much money as you would have with the TB DD.

10 Likes

gear drives.

5 Likes

Yeah id go with gears and some new flipsky motors (this is coming from somome who had a perfectly working set of TBDDs). Failing that, if you’re set on DDs / hubs because of silence /local laws, just get a set of meepo hubs. They’re actually ok and cheap!

6 Likes

I would personally avoid direct drive. If you need stealth then maybe hub motors?

2 Likes

Boardnamics drives are suprisingly low resistance. Maybe it’s the bearing seals and not having a V-ring. DDs are great for low rolling resistance… if that’s what you’re after maybe give boardnamics M1 GDs a try.

Really though, either of those DDs should probably be okay for lower power builds. If you go with TB DDs just expect to have to make a few modifications and troubleshoot to get them to run right- and people have had other issues that can’t be solved with mods or troubleshooting. For the price, probably not worth that risk for a lower power build- only if you need RKP and DD would I suggest that… as the only option for full DIY.

There is the Revel kit for a less DIY, bolt on solution- haven’t heard as many bad things about this kit.

There are also the loaded x unlimited hubs that seem to be pretty solid, but can’t say from experience. Loaded urethane is great.

2 Likes

My elofty DDs have treated me well. The ride is smooth and quiet. I upgraded all of the bushings with a Riptide kit. It was a vast improvement.

2 Likes

Thank you for all of the great remarks and pointers!

Sounds like you all are mostly against DD. What would you all recommend and potentially with some kind of truck kit?
I have a 10s3p 40t battery, focbox unity, Hoyt St. puck and a Bustin’ sportster with enclosure deck.
I currently already ride a Boosted Mini X (with all 5 modes) on a Bustin’ YoFace deck. REVEL Kit on a Bustin’Shrike, Unlimited/loaded on a Maddness deck and a Bustin’ YoFace V2.

I was looking into torqueboards mostly and boundmotor, considering onsra kit or mboards. Also, I really like the Hoyt St. drivetrain… what do you all think? Thank you for the help again! You guys rock!

DDs are mostly hit or miss.
I have gen2 elofty’s, they are smooth and I love them but you never feel confident.
I hate noisy boards though, so I accept the risk and have been for more than one year now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Best looking “prebuilt” drivetrain u can get, automatic belt tension system, motor mounts fit on any cali profile hanger if u need it wider or u using pressfit pulley. Top notch shit I tell ya

2 Likes

oh no they are terrible you really want a vesc.

If you want a silent drivetrain but still a lot of power 4wd hubs are great. If you are okay with more vibrations i can recommend the 100mm Meepo hubs.
For bad roads its better to go with a belt / gear drive and softer wheels.

2 Likes

I guess I have 3rd gen eloftys (Eovan, supposedly the supplier for Boundmotor) and after ~300km this year the rear axle is bent by ~2-3deg upwards.

Most of the rides were on perfectly smooth asphalt, but those ~25km on cobblestone/other rougher terrain bent the axles in no time. I suppose they are not properly hardened/cheap metal.

tl;dr: if you don’t have perfect road conditions everywhere, stay away from DDs.

I’ve run TBDDs and loved them when functioning properly in 4wd. I had huge issues with hangers bending though. I weigh around 92-95kg when riding so on the slightly heavier side.

I tried them in a 2wd setup and they were underwhelming. They heat up very quickly in 2wd and then get throttled by ESC. My dual Flipsky 6374s are far superior as far as 2wd setup but belt drive.

Having said this i am eagerly awaiting new custom steel hangers for my TBDD 4wd. I found it a super fun setup in 4wd so can’t wait to get it back on the road soon. I would still not recommend them though haha