New build (Stormcore) set-up - Ideal settings

Greetings skaters!

I hope y’all are doing fantastic today! I’ve recently received a long-anticipated Stormcore 60D+ and after that, I’ve decided that I want to upgrade my board to have an absolute beast in an elegant package, and for that, I want to go through all of the settings and make it right!

FOC wizard already set my motors to 68,9 A, and I’ve assumed that my battery current max regen should be about -40 to be comfortable (I understand that the limit is about -65 since 40t can do max 35 amp discharge), but as for best settings for battery current max and absolute maximum current (and maybe some other settings), I’m not too sure…

I’ve read a few topics on here with an explanation of all settings, but I still feel like I lack expertise and don’t quite understand everything :frowning:
And so - I would really need your assistance!

My build

Motors: Flipsky 6374 190 Kv motors
VESC: Stormcore 60D+
Battery (for now) : Samsung 40T 12s2p

Additional info:
Gear ratio 16/72, 200mm wheel
Flipsky VX2 remote

I’m happy to provide any photos if needed and once again would really appreciate your help!

Your max regen is way too high, from what I know. Your battery current max regen setting essentially controls the current that charges the battery when you brake. Most people set it differently depending on the cells, but I’ve never seen -40 per side on a 2p battery. That means your battery regen max should be halved, at least, since I assume you have 2WD on your board.

I’d take a look at the spec sheet for Samsung 40T’s and look at the max burst charge rate.

Discharge and charge rates are not even close to similar on most cells.
Looking at this datasheet here you can see that the discharge rate is almost an order of magnitude higher than the charge rate. This document doens’t have burst charge rates, but I’d assume around -10 to -12A per side (since you have a 2p battery) should be pretty safe.

You can set it slightly lower or slightly higher depending on your needs, but most people favour stronger brakes (and safety) over cell life cycles. If you put stronger brakes, you’ll lose cycle life on your cells. If you have weaker brakes, you’ll prolong the life of the cells at the cost of your safety. It’s a choice where many choose the former.

If someone has extra info about 40T’s specifically, feel free to suggest numbers. I’m ballparking it off of the continuous charge rate.

1 Like

Don’t touch absolute max current, it’s a hardware safety feature.
Cells have different ratings for charge and discharge, and often those ratings assume the cells is temperature monitored for safety. Then again, for safety reasons you might want to exceed the charge rating so that you can stop your board in time in case of an emergency.
I usually set regen current to be half that of discharge.

So for a 2P 40T battery, I would do 30A battery discharge per ESC side, and -15A battery regen per ESC side. (Don’t forget to program both sides of the ESC by switching to the other one in the CAN tab on the bottom left of vesc tool)

Also, this assumes you don’t have a BMS between your battery and ESC that would cut your ESC off from the battery if you try to overcharge it. If you have a bypassed BMS, all is good. If not, then stay below your BMS charge limits, otherwise you’ll blow up your ESC.

3 Likes

This data sheet has 40Ts charging at 6 amps max per cell. It doesn’t mention a max burst though, but I know the P42A can deal with 8 or more making it a better cell for small packs like this if you like brakes.

edit: never mind that the p42a is a less expensive, more accessible cell with better characteristics all around.

4 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
Yup, I do have BMS bypass,so charging only)
Okay, I’ll try these settings!
Any other settings I should touch? Like, limiting rpm (don’t really plan to go 70kph haha)? Although I think I’ve seen somewhere here a person saying not to touch rpm or it messes the board or something like that

1 Like

You should definitely adjust fault time to just 200ms (I hear some people go lower, haven’t tried it myself though), and adjust max duty cycle current limit start to be 85% or lower:

1 Like