NESE modular jumper - 🐉 Dragon MTB build

Dammit, I need to stop being so trigger happy ordering things just bc they’re cheap. I read this:

And understood it as you could swap the same tubes between different size tires no problem.

Well now I have 10 200x50 tubes :man_shrugging: #neverrunout

1 Like

Haha they’ll get used I’m sure

1 Like

#Wiring

Finally finished all the wire extensions, bullet soldering, heat shrinking, sensor wire crimping, gland installation, and silicon-ing.

I had the wrong size polyester cable sleeve, so I gave up after a few frustrating minute of trying to forcefully thread all the motor wires through. I probably could’ve made it work if not for the larger solder bulges. I’ll try the 0.75" dia when it shows up next week.

As I discovered - order of operations when shoving 3 phase wires + sensor wire through a PG11 gland is very important.

• Install gland into enclosure after threading all cables through all parts
  • Install the sensor connector at the very end
  • Through the outermost gland nut: phase bullets first, then sensor crimps
  • Through the rubber grommet: sensor crimps first, then stretch it over the last phase bullet
  • Through the threaded gland housing: phase bullets first, then sensor crimps

This avoids any tearing of the heat shrink and minimizes damage to the sensitive wire crimps

Foot pad wire channels could be a smidge wider, but they work. Will enlarge in the next revision.

Waiting for the silicone to dry a bit, and then first power up!

9 Likes

#Tuning

TEST RIIIIIIDE :surfing_woman:

As is tradition, first power up was at 2am. I barely missed my Jan 1 goal to start off the new year on a high. After a couple nail-biter rounds of VESC Tool, where things did not sound like these should, some Davega troubleshooting, and some Hoyt Puck setting adjustment, it was time to take this thing outside!

MotorDetection

In the wild:

A few thoughts:

• Fuck. urethane. Pneumatics are the roll over anything, slid across front lawns, launch off curbs wheels I always wanted!
  • I think these Matrix IIs might actually be more carvy than the BN220s I had on the landyatchz. At low speed, I could get a really aggressive turn. Super excited to see how fast I could rip a track course on this setup.
  • The Haero Bro deck + these trucks feels so close to snowboarding its unreal. Love it.
  • I forgot how to turn in bindings. Gonna have to relearn that real quick. Already used the Puck as a puck.
  • So far this build is everything I wanted. ALL THE HYPE.
  • Time to learn wheelies

Lastly, now trying out the other experimental part of this build - #fuckBMS @BenjaminF

Nothing ground-breaking, but the BMS now lives attached to the charger. No reason to lug it around 24/7 when its only used briefly. This little BMS wiring harness worked out great. No charge fuse. No charge port. No loopkey. This battery has one XT90s, that’s it.

8 Likes

Yes.

Hell yeah

Unphhhh it’s like peanut butter and jelly every time I step on that combo.

I’m all about this build

Ps I might have skipped over it but what bushing combo are you running? It looks like red rear from photos.

9 Likes

The skin, the footpads, the color coordination - I’m digging it :call_me_hand: This build has excellent vibes

3 Likes

@robedude hooked up me with this gently used set (appreciate it!) so they’ve got his red rear orange front.

I’d like to get a set of yellows when they’re back in stock and shift everything over. I want to see how loose i can handle.

But the trucks are probably real sloppy right now. I didn’t crank down any of the fasteners much. In fact, i need to figure out how to correctly set up the matrix iis and the f5s. The bindings were a bit odd - not super comfortable or tight enough to inspire confidence.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure your bindings are on backwards. The point of the diamond on the logo should be towards your toes. @Venom121212 can you confirm?

@sleepless if I’m right, then that should fix your problem.

Edit: actually the longer I look at that picture, the more wrong it looks. You are standing in your bindings backwards.

2 Likes

Good looking out. It’s a little confusing in the photo bc i have the heel straps rotated up and above toe straps. But if you look, there’s two logos. The lower one is the toe strap, and its diamond is pointed towards my toes.

(I’m also goofy, if that makes this orientation more confusing lol)

Edit: now I’m questioning myself. Here’s the install guide. I may have them on backwards. Shit that would actually be great, because the nanuk latches get in the way of the F5 latches right now.

Yep, i think you’re right. Awesome!

1 Like

Yep this is totally correct, I was looking at the wrong logo. In that case, then my only complaint with your picture is that you are standing backwards in your bindings, which it seems like you have realized :grin::metal:

1 Like

Well… i just realized I have the entire board backwards. :man_facepalming:

Somehow i thought everything was symmetric and reversible when i started.

It’s just a bunch of unfastening and refastening… except the dragon will now face backwards and upside down. Damnit @BenjaminF

1 Like

Seems like we’re all sorted here but yep the, mbs logo should be readable to all your fans. Though I like the diamond tip pointing out method of explanation better.

Shitty to have to rotate everything 180° but the finish line is in sight!

2 Likes

#Bindings

Everything flipped! Thanks guys for looking out. This binding orientation makes way more sense. Discovered my front truck was on backwards during the uninstall too.

Will need to revise the footpad asap. It no longer fits.

Got the Davega updated while i was tinkering. Really appreciate the help @janpom

4 Likes

i thought you had board backwards on purpose, i was like different folks different strokes like. but your bindings are still wrong. you need to rotate them 180

2 Likes

Correct orientation is this (left foot)

Ratchet for the foot binding on the outsides

1 Like

#Bindings

I swear these bindings are a seeing eye puzzle. I had the heel straps rotated up. Here’s them down:

Ratchets on the outside of the toe strap. Ratchets on the inside of the heel strap. Don’t know why, but I’m 90% sure this is correct:

This thought did cross my mind. Instead of pressing your feet inwards to hold tight, you’d press outwards. Could work. But in the end, I think the way the pads are made this wouldn’t work well. When I had them backwards they didn’t feel great.

@Venom121212 it looks like you have both ratchets on the same side. Do you prefer this way / any issues?

5 Likes

For real :joy:

2 Likes

Lmao I went through this too at the beginning, I followed a leewright vid or something to put them in right

1 Like

I kept banging my enclosure box when ratcheting the heel straps so I flipped them around and they felt the exact same that way.

Feels more natural to me to undo the bindings on the outside of the feet than to reach on the inside of them.

2 Likes

Solid! I might do the same

1 Like