Neo Orca - Neo One Deck | 30Q 18650 10s2p | FOCBOX Unity | Hoyt St EL1 Belt Drive | Hoyt Puck Remote

I accidentally posted it a few days ago and flagged it for enlisting since I wasn’t ready yet :sweat_smile: . Just had it unlisted yesterday.

Bet Bet Merci!

Yeah that’s the plan. Going to put foam at each crevice between the N.E.S.E Modules and the Deck Interior Walls and ensure they align with M3 Rods or suitable alternatives:

What I mean though was that I wanted to ensure that the negative terminal wire never touches the the caps by having the wire clamped to the side of the wall like so:

Where the Black wire highlights the black terminal wire and the red represents the clamps.

Though I suppose the foam will accomplish this while at the same time allowing free movement like you were saying. Yeah I think I’m going to go the foam route, thanks man.

One thing I’m worried though is about heat. Will the heat from the batteries be trapped by the foam?

I don’t want to use Neoprene since it seems to be flammable. I rather a foam that can accomplish the same tasks while not being flammable.

Your batteries are so flammable it doesn’t matter if the foam you use is or not :laughing: Some fishpaper between the wire and caps would be a good solution. Or just more foam. And you should not be using battery settings that heat the cells up significantly; so for a 2P 30Q, keep your battery amps at max 40A and you should be fine :+1:

2 Likes

Lol this concerns me a bit. Let’s say somehow the pack starts going up in flames, is there anything I can put in the compartment to slow or put out the flames? I’m thinking of putting fire retardant sheets surrounding the batteries. Bad idea?

Awesome!thank you will do. I know it’s low battery config for 30Q’s but I’m hopping Push Assist will make it worth it.

1 Like

You might not have space for fire retardant sheets / they might just trap heat inside the battery instead of letting it cool down by spreading to the surroundings, but it could work :man_shrugging:

But like, you’re already using a NESE pack; if balance wires short they’ll burn up anyway, and the chances of your main terminal wires shorting by means of something that won’t instantly burn up is close to zero. You’ve already got a safe battery :smiley:

2 Likes

Gotcha, then I won’t worry about it then. Thanks man. Going to order the N.E.S.E modules soon. Won’t expect them for about 2-3 months.

In other news, I’ll have to wait until next year Spring semester to start my thesis since I need a minimum of 18 credits. Should be enough time to get all the components minus the batteries. Hoping @Sender will be available by then to do some senderizing and fiberglass reinforcement. I don’t fully trust this deck as it is now.

1 Like

Using this from the Battery Basics for Beginners [Serious] Thread, a 42.0V 2A Charger should be good normal charger for the 10s2p 30Q configuration. (Maybe I’ll opt for 3A for 2 hour charging time) . So I’m thinking I should get a 7.5A fuse. Would this work ?

Fuse Holder:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LPS-01B-16R/2298-LPS-01B-16R-ND/11577945?utm_campaign=buynow&WT.z_cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow&utm_medium=aggregator&curr=usd&site=us&utm_source=octopart

Fuse:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0891075NXS?qs=5b8eIUDTslkvkxd5rgK1Lg%3D%3D

2 Likes

Yep, they’ll work fine and be incredibly easy to replace if one ever blows.

2 Likes

Awesome merci! Wish the MINI Smart Glow Fuses were rated higher than 32V.

1 Like

Yeah those look very cool

They work at 12s :yum:

I use them on everything and no issues so far (except the one time I plugged the charger in backwards, surprisingly a 5A fuse popped :joy::joy:)

If you want I can make an inline plug and play fuse setup so you don’t have a ton of spare parts

2 Likes

Really? How? I’ve been reading up on batteries and fuses and thought a fuse needs to be the same or higher voltage as your rated battery system.

That would actually be amazing can I get a picture and dimensions of this plug and play fuse setup so I can model out how it’ll fit please?

I have one in my 12s charger, at 8A charge current the 10A fuse didn’t blow, and I got a shit ton up to 30A so I can always fudge the current up for high voltage applications

The minimum size is 12mm thick, 19mm wide, about 60mm long…but add 9mm width to use the waterproof cap, and the length can be longer depending on what you need. I can terminate in XT30, XT60, 5.5x2.5, and red 2 pin JST…or any mix, just state your need (2 pin is good for 3A, barrel is good for 5A, XT will excede the fuse)

This is the XT60 terminated one I use for my 12s 8A charger, using a 10A rated fuse

Edit: I can also do 3.5mm and 4.0mm bullets, or 3 pin JST (looks like 1.25mm pitch) or loose bread board type pins…not sure why you would want them, small profile I guess, but I got them anyways so they are also on the table

1 Like

Totally talking out my rear here, but I always figured the fuses voltage was just a part for the fuses wattage limit formula.

36v 5a fuse is good for 180w of power…

36v 7.5a fuse would be good for 270… Etc.

Say you’ve got a 50.4v (44.4 nominal) 3a charger, that would be 133w of current :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m hoping I can squeeze a 42v 5.71a charger with a 36v 7.5a fuse… Given what I wrote above is true, it should be safe :thinking:

Someone with a larger brain than I, please chime in and give me a verbal smack if I’m being misleading.

E: I’ve been fact checked

1 Like

Nice it should fit

Ah I see so your charge port has like a 5.5x2.5 to XT60 end to connect to this inline fuse right? (Just trying to capture a visual of the system,

So it’s not directly the power, but the heat dissipation…so W = I^2 * R…the voltage doesn’t play into how much heat is dissipated, it’s purely based on the current and the unit resistance of the fuse, the voltage affects the current but since it’s a limited current supply it doesn’t matter

2 Likes

Lol all my boards and chargers are different, this one is for the MTB which has an XT60 charge port, and the fuse is tied to the charger

The mono drive has the fuse on the inside and it’s spliced into the battery end

The AT has 3 adapters…barrel to XT30, XT30 through fuse to 2 pin, 2 pin to battery

You tell me what ends you want and how long you want them, I can do it (within reason…100mm on each end is the max for most stuff)

1 Like

Wow That’s interesting. any reason for the different charging ports?

I’ll let you know once I hear back from @Speedict about the Neptune 10 Wiring. The Neptune 15 has 2 kinds out there that’s confusing me a bit.

Haha just circumstance, I made each board at a different time with different parts so the newer ones are better built (new has fuse built into battery, old have fuse on the charger)

Yeah no worries, I’ll have them for custom order for a while

1 Like

Danny got back to me pretty quick:

Im not bypassing the BMS so the battery isn’t going straight the VESC.

@love2scoot I noticed yours didn’t come with charge wires like @Eskate444 did

Can you confirm that yours is more like the diagram then what @Eskate444 has?

Yep, I have (2) Pack wires and (2) Load / Charge wires, just like the photo above.

It was time for me to update my wiring diagram. This is the current version:

1 Like