Need suggestion for motor

Hello!
I am currently deciding on all the stuff I want for my first board and I have decided most stuff already - all I am missing is motors and ESC:
The Deck is a Landyachtz Evo 40, the Battery and enclosure will be made by eboardsperu (12S8P), for the wheels I am going for Onsra 115 rubbers (as a nice middle ground between urethane and pneumatics in my mind)

To give some perspective: I am new to all this, did some research but know…well, not a lot. I am also fairly heavy (120+kg atm - going down fast, but still never gonna go below 100) and I live on top of a hill. Being very new to all this, the regulations and laws in my country and the location of my “base” means I don’t need a lot of speed, but a lot of torque.

So what motor to get?
Initially I thought I’d just go all out and get a 63100 from flipsky - and I still would. However, I want to get a (urethane) gear drive from 3dservisas, the largest hanger of which is too short for the 63100s. So I need to find something else.
I looked for the second largest motor I could find and considered a maytech 6396, but it looks like maytech might not be the best choice in general, plus the motor seems to be about as powerful as the 6380, which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a larger motor.
So finally I thought I found what I was looking for in the Lacroix 6389 with 140kv, only to find that the mounting holes do not seem to fit with the 3dservisas gear drive.

As I originally wanted to go with the flipsky motors, I would have bought their FESC 6, but as I am looking for other motors, the choice of ESC is still up…

So, dear community, as you can see I am in desperate need of your help - what do you suggest I get?

Thank you! It’s been such a steep learning curve so far and I am really enjoying learning all this new stuff!

3 Likes

Tb6380 :sunglasses:

If you want a little more budget friendly motor
6384 flipsky
https://boardnamics.com/product-category/motors/

Stormcore 60

And call it a day

5 Likes

Agreed 100% with my boy Jimmy @Nacho !!! and throw a Hoyt puck in the mix too.

3 Likes

Maker X DV 6 and the Flipsky smart enhanced antispark is also an option. Might be a few bucks cheaper.

Personally I would go with the flipsky 6384 motor, or a maytech 6374. On a urethane board you don’t really need anything bigger imo.

Excited to see your build thread for this! Your current part selection looks really good :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Dual 6374 is borderline overkill for urethane, but very enjoyable

The sealed maytech 6374 have been solid on 2 builds so far

2 Likes

Let’s just say budget isn’t really an issue.

One thing I keep coming back to is motor kv for higher torque.
Due to my weight I would like very strong motors geared for torque.
About that: 1:2.6 gearing is better for that, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Generally speaking - isn’t 190kv too high for 12s for the max erpm for VESCs?

1 Like

I run 190kv and have no issues on 12s, I had dual 6380’s on my evo plenty of power and torque and great breaks depending on how you have them set up in the vesc.

On VESC4, yes, but VESC6 and up have 150k limits, which are pretty much impossible to hit unless you go really high voltage.

2 Likes

Stormcore equals no worries!

Yep, you want 1:2.6 gearing. Personally I wish it went even higher for their urethane drives.

As for kv: pick the lowest kv that gets you your desired top speed and a bit more (because your battery won’t always be at full voltage). Sure, lower kv motors have more torque per amp, but with a stormcore or similar ESC you will be able to provide more than enough current to the motors for the torque you want. I could more get into the small differences kv makes if you want, but for now I’ll shut up.

2 Likes

I thought about inquiring if bioboards would sell me one of their powertrain kits with 140kv motors rather than 210kv but I believe they are using maytechs aren’t they?

1 Like

I would recommend a motor-y motor with lots of spin capacity.

3 Likes

:+1:t4:

If budget is non issue and you got space, Spitend +80mm motors in 2WD will make your board into spaceship!

3 Likes

How did you do that??

1 Like

1 Like

hacked my account, leaving the forum!!!

1 Like

Dickkyo motors 190Kv 6374 Plenty of tourque and Pretty cheep. Think they are 50usd delivered.
eBoardshop Sells on eBay.

1 Like

Just dropping this here

1 Like

He’s in Austria so importing TB motors probably isn’t worth it.

@Andy089 I’d stick with Maytech or Flipsky battle hardened motors, 6374 is way large enough. Spintend is my fav ESC but BKB Xenith is a good shout too

4 Likes