Need some help with DIY Gokart

Hey Guys I have this Goped Trq I converted into Electric I was just hoping you guys could help me with the settings. First let me tell you the specs, it has 10 inch tires geared at 7:1, 2- torque board vesc 6 on a big heatsink, 2- torqueboard 6380 170kv and a 12s7p with p42a cells. This gokart hits about 36mph it’s really fun, the only problem is sometimes I want more torque so I’d like to turn up the motor amp settings and not lose braking power. My base current settings are: 50 -motor amps, -55 motor current max brake, 50-battery current max, -14 battery current max regen. With these settings the gokart runs great and brakes strong. But when I turn the motor settings to 65 for more torque my brakes feel weak. Should I be changing my motor current max brake also ? Should it be like -70? Should I be changing any other settings when Also ? Like the battery current max regen Or can I keep that the same. Efficiency isn’t really the goal just the power.

9 Likes

I know this isn’t the answer your looking for given what you’re trying to do. But being that you’re on a go-kart, my suggestion is figure out how to retrofit some mechanical brakes rather than leaving it up to the motors/speed controllers. You’ll get much stronger and vastly more reliable braking power by going to mechanical brakes, even if its just the fronts tires you setup.

9 Likes

Theres like no way I could put mechanical brakes if I wanted to, it did have it in the rear but I couldn’t make it work and have the motors fit at the same time. It was the same deal with my other gokart build

1 Like

You could go with front mechanical brakes !

1 Like

Yes, this exactly.

You can also mess with your negative ramping time and throttle curves in the vesc tool and you can have stronger brakes without losing any top end accel.

Awesome build, my son has a razor ground force and I can’t wait for him to outgrow it.

3 Likes

I’m going to see if anyone as done this before to this frame and see if it is possible.

Ahhhh okay I will see what I can do with that

1 Like

And man my tiny gokart sooooooooo much fun it drifts and I weight like 250

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m going for haha. Hopefully you’ll have perfected your setup by then and I can lean on you for tips :wink:

1 Like

It drifts? Like, you can smoke the tires?

1 Like

No like drift corners it doesnt burnout with my weight but my lighter friends can.

5 Likes

I’m always up to help whenever I can !!!

2 Likes

Ah, I see. How long does it run for?

1 Like

That’s so cool. IDK changing motor amps lowers brakes. I have similar setup, I built a “powerwheels” go kart with similar electronics. I cranked my settings a lot to make it more fun. I’m on lipo so I wouldn’t particularly recommend my settings, but I feel you can go higher on all your values.

1 Like

The tiny gokart with my weight and riding hard about 13 miles. I had a 12s5p in it with 30q cells

1 Like

That’s surprisingly good, imo. Nice build.

1 Like

Can you tell me more about your drive system for the cart? Specifically how you attached the sprocket to the wheel hub

1 Like

Don’t wait. Get him something he likes more so you can go all mad max on his go kart. Once I got my son his Razor MX650 dirt bike, he lost interest in all his other electric toys, so now they’re on my list to mod sooner or later.

2 Likes

Yes so these are just typical 10inch rims for goped they are easy to mount sprockets to. The wheel mounts to a live axle so both motors are connected through chain

2 Likes

Nice dude, thank you

1 Like