Need max amp specs for a Skatebolt Breeze 2

Hey guys, I’m a new DIYer and was recently gifted some parts to get started. Among these is a pair of hub motors from an old Skatebolt breeze 2. I’m trying to set up the hubs in VESC Tool but can’t seem to find specs for the max amps. According to Skatebolt’s website, the motors are 350 Watts but that’s the only specs listed. there doesn’t appear to be any information out there about the KV or maximum amps. I’ve reached out to Skatebolt and they weren’t able to give anymore info than the 350 watts already listed online. If anyone is able to help in this matter, I would be so grateful! Thank you!

any chance you have the charger?

lets assume 10s (guess),
thats 37v nominal , 350W/37v gets you something like 10A.
Which is crap but its a place to start. keep upping the amps in 10A increments and just try it out. , if its not moving its too low ,if its fun its too much :wink:

3 Likes

Boy, I wish I did. the parts all came from different stuff. It really is a Frankenstein of a rig! And yes the battery is 10s2p.

So start at 10a, and then go up gradually from there?

Okay, Noob question time: How do you know when you’ve hit the sweet spot for amps?

1 Like

You get voltage sag or a toasty motor

If you feel the speed going down after you crest a hill or the motors are too hot to touch that’s too many amps

3 Likes

yeah. I run my 60a rated motors at 100a and thats fine since im not actually continuously pumping that much through

you can probably start at 25a. 10a will very likely not be enough to move you

1 Like

Haha thanks! I’ll give that a try. I’m still learning and getting familiar with so much of the basics like volts/amps/watts etc. But hopefully this will prevent me from damaging the hubs. thanks for the help!

1 Like

think of circuits as pressurized water pipes
power iis generated with a water wheel
Volts is pressure in the pipe
amps is the amount of water flowing (circumfrence of pipe)
resistance is a restriction in water flow (squeezed pipe for example)

amps make things hot. too many volts will cause too many amps. Some things , the amps come gradually and things get warm, like motors. Some things, like vescs, if you go even a little above the voltage limit and its like a water fall, toooooons of current makes things go poof

1 Like

Funny you should say that! When I received the board, it had a meepo esc in it and during an initial test ride, the hub motors became incredibly hot. So I guess the meepo esc was putting out too many amps. I’m replacing it with a vesc tomorrow and so this is great to know. Thanks!

1 Like

I used to have cheap 90mm hub motors and they were hot when I would off-road or climb hills with them to the point I couldn’t touch the cover plate without getting burned…I think they were at 20A?

1 Like

Is there an average amp range for 350W hub wheels? How high do they normally go?

Between 10A and 20A

1 Like

if your using vesc and a 10s2p I would keep amp as low as possible to start with - battery sag could give you problems with VESC cutting out

The skatebolt breeze uses winboard-raldey hubs and a 10S2P Samsung 30Q battery and comes stock with a hobbywing ESC, so the battery is very likely to use a 24 Amp discharge BMS. So you should probably be able to get 24 amps out of it, maybe 30 if its a higher rated BMS.

The hubs can take about 35 amps or so depending on how much you actually use the 35 amps. I’d put a safe wattage at about 1100 which is 26 amps, but you can probably push them a bit harder than that. Best way to test is just to go either up a steep hill, or easier on a grassy field to just really push the motors (The field is safer because you can go only like 15mph and max the motors trudging through the grass)

No hub motor is 350W. Its under-rated for import reasons. Even stock they run over 1000W rating.

2 Likes

Is the hobbywing ESC rated for 48v? I have the Breeze II and looking to upgrade the battery.