Need Help. Motor not spinning and high pitched noise. Vesc possibly fried

Alrightio, first build so it was a matter of time before something came up. So today I finished soldering the three phase wires onto my vesc and plugged everything in. Heres what happened:

the first time I tried holding the throttle I heard a tiny pop / spark from one of the phase wires on the vesc. I don’t know much other than that, sorry, as I said I’m new to this.

The motor will occasionally turn very slightly, a couple degrees, then stop. I haven’t soldered since grade 6 metal shop so I’m hoping I just messed up some solder connection and didn’t fry my vesc or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

if i posted this in the wrong category lmk

1 Like

uh oh thats not good

bumpity bump.

Uninsulated phase wires touching is no bueno

Un-hook everything
Look closely at VESC to see if it shows visible signs of damage
it powers thats good
See if you can get it to work on vesc tool or get it to throw errors

Do qwick hand check on motor to see if it’s fried

Disconnect power! insulate phase leads on motor try with vesc tool

Be ready to pull power qwik if smoke starts to escape

3 Likes

Jeez, I totally forgot about insulating the phase wires. No visible signs of damage on the vesc. Also, how do I hand check the motor to see if its fried?

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 12.39.01 AM
I literally just fried a focbox like this a few weeks ago…tis a shame. I always just slip loosely some shrink over my phase leads when I’m bench testing but don’t heat it. up

then I can just slip it back off when I’m done.

alright tried doing some tests in vesc tool. this is what I’m getting:

I mean, it still lights up and stuff so theres hope…?

Yeaahhhh, I’m useless on this one. Flux linkage is a thing. I think it’s fixable but not sure… @b264 I feel might know somthing about flux linkage error

did a quick google search of flux linkage, this is making me think this is a problem with the motor…? or possible my entire things just effed.

when phase wires short, it’s always bad

sometimes the VESC
sometimes the motor
sometimes both

the motor may be the easiest to check
check resistance of all phases
run a multimeter continuity check on all the phases to stator, shaft, can, bearings
see if there is obvious signs of damage inside the motor in terms of shorts, melted wires etc.

I trust you completed the hand motor test

1 Like

motor seems fine. I’m going to desolder the vesc phase wires and test voltages. will update soon. thanks for the help so far.

Did you find out what it was? I am having a very similar issue and can’t figure it out for the life of me