Namless - 4WD Trampa build thread

I think I got the backlash just right but I wont know till I get it running. You are more than welcome to ship the board to Sydney and I can sus it out lol I promise I will return it … Maybe

2 Likes

Just make sure you test ride and are happy with it before you grease those babies up

2 Likes

Nice Build Bro

feel free to send me a short video of your backlash, holding motor and moving wheel back and for

3 Likes

I have finally gotten some time to finish up configuring the unity’s and get the wheels rolling.
I had to use the batteries from my other trampa to bring life to the 4WD build.
Was kind of fearful that I had messed up with my solder jobs and wiring despite constant checking but the worry was for nothing as it seems everything is operational.

Only item left on the list of parts are Turnigy Lipos. So close to the end.

3 Likes

After a few months of collecting parts and a lot of procrastination. The build is 90% complete. I am still waiting on the batteries to arrive from HobbyKing but until then, I have pulled the 8a 12s1p lipo battery out of one my other boards to power this build.

It handles well and is stable at high speed. Currently running it in FOC but will try setup HFI next weekend.

Its not as complete as i would like but for now I will call it done until the batteries arrive and I wire up the bestech d140 12s charge only bms.

4 Likes

Fuck yeah dude!!!

It looks great and i’m sure it rides awesome.

Curious to know how much it weighs?

My only critique is purely aesthetic… would be nice to see some flair on that battery box :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Inspiring!

How is the uphill performance offroad of this crazy build, e.g. can you go up something as steep as 25-30° (50%-60%)?

And what is the range?

The board at the moment is 20kg’s roughly.
The battery box is very plain but with some additions of some stickers and power meter and a charge port, it will look a bit more like an actual battery box.

1 Like

I havent had a chance to test its hill climbing ability. Only got in a speed and range test today. With the 8a 12s1p lipo pack. It has a range of 15km tops. I only maxed it out at 45kmh but the trigger still had some more travel so it would go a bit faster. I didnt have the balls to go any faster today lol

1 Like

If you have some time at some point and could check uphill ability offroad that would be great!

1 Like

hey man again dope build, I’m working on getting my 4wd board going with dual unities. I may have missed it somewhere else on the forum but can you tell me how you setup that canbus? I wana do single PPM, and connection to unities via canbus like you have, just dunno what is needed.

1 Like

As i understand it, a normal CAN bus connection will work like on a dual single vesc setup. Now from what i have read, to not damage the unity’s, you want to boot them up at the same time with a single switch. This took some searching to find out how to get it to work and figured out how to do thanks to the FatDaddy FAQ. You need to have a canbus cable between the two unity’s but you will need to wire up the 5v line as well and solder in a 20ohm resistor inline on the 5v line.

My description probably doesnt make sense lol so this is where i went to figure it out

“Is it possible to use single switch to turn off two Unitys connected via CANBUS? The answer is yes! All you need to do is Basically on the CAN bus, wire a 20-ohm resistor in series with the 5V.Set one as master & other as slave. Master has switch and ppm input.Master will send a shutdown command when shutting down, that will also power down slave”

20200901_063458

Hopefully the image makes more sense than what I wrote.

1 Like

do you think this guy is overkill?

all the other 20ohm boi’s are like 100 pack - sorry for the thread jack too.

All good bro, I’m happy to help man =)

What I ended up using for the resistor was just a simple 20ohm 0.5W metal film resistor
Got an 8 pack from a local electronics parts chain store

https://www.jaycar.com.au/20-ohm-0-5-watt-metal-film-resistors-pack-of-8/p/RR0531

I think the ones from amazon that you found might be a bit overkill LOL

Looks like you could get some off the Jaycar US site https://www.jaycar.us/20-ohm-0-5-watt-metal-film-resistors-pack-of-8/p/RR0531

1 Like

just a bit LOL - thanks again for all the help

1 Like

UPDATE

Hobbyking finally got the turnigy 6s1p 10ah lipos in stock and they finally shipped them.

Its a snug fit but they do fit

This was a mock up of the connections, was just missing the series connector in the photo to make it a 12s2p

Ended up wiring up the D140 charge only bms successfully and did a test charge to make sure it all worked

Took it for a quick spin today. 20km with about 70% battery remaining after. Also was rolling on a flat tyre which I didn’t notice till I stopped.
I estimate 50km range with the way I ride.

5 Likes