My integrated deck project continues | Test monkeys found

Bamboo splits. What matters is whether or not you stuff this split with glue, epoxy of wood fill. I was being lazy here and just did it with epoxy. The refined way to do it would be to use a matching wood fill and then sand it and make it look pretty.

6 Likes

Oh, does it split when you press? If so have you tried veneer conditionner? I have seen @longhairedboy say thAt he uses it and helps avoid splitting during the pressing.

1 Like

Bamboo is just a bunch of fibers pressed together with glue. Splits are kind of a reality, especially if the veneer gets dry. When layered and glued it just fine.

2 Likes

So, I don’t use conditioners on skateboards. I’m not saying that you shouldn’t. I just don’t. Conditioners are used to bend veneers in extreme ways for furniture and art. Using them on skateboards is a debatable subject. Essentially, they degrade the integrity of the material in order to make it more flexible. Debate away…

5 Likes

Not going to debate and just so we are clear, I wasn’t trying to attack your work. I work with wood so this kinda stuff is really interesting to me and I take this opportunity to learn more. I can take my post back but your explanation wouldn’t make sense if I remove parts of it.

2 Likes

No don’t remove it. It’s a good point and I’m happy to clarify things. If this were a bare deck with a gaping split in the top that you could run your fingernail through,I’d be a hack.

Your cool with me @Tamatoa. I welcome the questions. I apologize if I ever shoot from the hip with my responses. I worked as a chef for nearly 20 years. I have trouble candy-coating things. I realize that I should work on that, but, unfortunately, I mostly just spend a lot of time apologizing :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Everything is fine then, awesome work so far looks like a lot of fun to make these decks, keep it up.

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking when I made that post, sorry y’all :sweat:

But yeah, it looks and feels solid. I don’t have to do the knife scratch because I can see that it’s fully enclosed by the finish too

Started a small build and review thread over here:

1 Like

@tomiboi do the decks come with a hole for phase wires or do we have to drill those ourselves

1 Like

“chéri” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

In the future there will be holes. I just wanted feedback on where to put them.

2 Likes

Could there be an option for drilled and non-drilled decks, so that those who want can do it themselves?

2 Likes

Do less work? Twist my arm.

10 Likes

Are you talking about the trucks holes? Wouldn’t you prefer a well tune cnc position the holes for you? I could trust myself with a paper template and a hand drill to align my drive train but there is a high risk of messing it up :sweat_smile:

No for wires and ports

2 Likes

I’m thinking of drilling 3-4 perfectly angled 1/8" pilot holes in the back of the compartment. Drilling them out to your preferred size with a hand drill would be easy from there.

8 Likes

Quick question for everybody testing, got the protective gear to push these decks to the limit?

6 Likes

Yup
Ive got
New Olders
TSG DHP kneepads
Arnoured hoodie
And the right falling technique

3 Likes

@tomiboi wait not to hijack you thread but splitdkme these are normal in bamboo decks?

3 Likes

Don’t forget balls…

3 Likes