Motor not spinning anymore

Hello

One of my Reacher Tech 6385’s stopped spinning all of a sudden one ride. Motor feels smooth when turned by hand but rough when standing and trying to push normally.
This is what vesc tool sees the motor as. All connections were okay and no sign of arching. Gonna tear the motor down for further troubleshooting

Any ideas weather it’s fixable would be appreciated. Would have to replace both if it’s not fixable.

switch the “good” motor to the “bad” side of the vesc, see if it passes detection or not.
If it does then its the motor.

2 Likes

Detection values point to a bad phase connection (check bullets/MR60).

How to do a basic motor test:

1 Like

Switched the “bad” motor to the other side and it detected and spun up with no issue.

So this means it’s either a connection issue or something wrong with the stormcore then. I will have to check all solder points and fix whatever I can find

1 Like

Dead Stormcore again… hmmmmmmmmm

2 Likes

You’d think at this point someone would say something.

Really? You think it could be the stormcore?

I swapped for new connectors and still have the same detection issue… Will rip the stormcore out and check phase connections at the pcb a bit later today.

1 Like

:zipper_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Likewise.

My findings

3 Likes

That mosfet looks like toast to me. I wonder how that happened. What current were you running the motors at?

On the bright side, that looks like something that should be repairable by someone with a hot air station. Maybe Lacroix will replace it for you.

1 Like

I’m gonna have it repaired by someone. I need to have a Zenith ESC repaired as well so this makes it convenient.

I was running my motors at 100a. So ya, that’s fault on me lol

Are Stormcores that weak? 100A shouldn’t be a problem

1 Like

SC should be able to handle this… for a short amount. Cont. is 75A.

1 Like

Yes and it did handle this for about 1000 miles! However, I ride hard. Really hard. My continuous motor amp would frequently and regularly hit +90a.

There’s never enough throttle and it’s never fast enough when it comes to how I ride.

Edit: mobile is lame and won’t reply to specific responses for some reason :confused:

1 Like

Pretty rare to see past the first batch.

@ISOgone4good are these reacher v4s/early v5s?

If so, i would also inspect the phase exits from the can. They have solid copper coming a couple inches past the exit, and can easily mess up the insulation and cause a phase short(which can fuck up an esc)

1 Like

These are v4’s. 173kv 6385’s which came from a @Skyart batch he ordered up sometime last year.

I opened up the one can on the side that went bad and there was nothing too suspect going on from what my noob eye could tell. I will open one up later and get some photos for those with a more experienced eye.

As for the Stormcore. I grabbed this 60D(new) from Hoyt (local to me) back on February 26th 2022. I purchased this knowing full well this was not a 60D+ and didn’t have the newer upgraded fets. So this may not be an issue with newer units.

Settings per side used when fet blew
Max motor amp : 100a
Max battery amp : 65a
Battery regen : -20a

1 Like

Good thing is you can easily replace some fets if nothing else is broken.

1 Like

That’s the plan! Shipping my 60D and Xenith out this week to someone who offered his services for repair.

Worked out much better than expected as I was looking at a $660 price tag in order to get my two boards functioning again with new ESC’S. I actually wrote off the possibility of getting the zenith repaired after some months of trying to find someone to no luck.

ESC’s blown Since April 15th, 2022(my first esk8)

• Stormcore 60D - blew a fet at 1000mi just about
  • Xenith v2 - had some small chip short near the sensor ports at ~2000mi +/- 100mi
  • FSESC 4.2 dual - Blown AS + slave side died due to reflow from heat maybe 100mi total
1 Like

Don’t confuse motor current with battery current, which I believe has just happened. And be clear which one you’re referring to.