Motor jerking - troubleshooting - faulty hall sensor

Hi, the right side of my dual drive train started to behave strangely, sometimes it doesn’t even respond to acceleration using the remote.

One issue I can reproduce consistently is with smart reverse. Here one can see how the side that is disassembled does a kind of jerking before going in reverse rotation:

What could be the cause of this, damaged hall sensors?..

1 Like

Try to run it sensorless if you’re lucky that’s the issue

1 Like

I tried and then both motors behave the same, which indicates it is indeed some problem with the sensors.

Also switched sides on the VESC to discard a possible problem here and the issue remained on the same motor.

What do you advise me to do, run it like this with only one motor with hall sensors or try to fix it?

2 Likes

Personally I’ll go sensorless and if for you sensors are just a plus and not necessary then don’t connect them.

You could try to fix it but you have to be aware of what you do, you should ask someone with way more technical experience than me.
Really be careful and conscious of what you’re going to do or you’ll risk to fuck up some expensive stuff

1 Like

Yeah, your sensors are having a hard time detecting the positions of your motors. Definitely something wrong your the sensors there, would be simply a cable or pin at the connector issue or the whole sensor pcb in the motor.

If you really -need- sensors you could fix it yourself or buy new motors. The alternative is to go sensorless. However sensorless doesn’t really solve this issue you’d have to set up HFI which actually could work similar if not almost better than sensors.

Sensors really just make more sense and are plug and play but can be finicky and are prone to damage since they are such thin cables.

1 Like

Set up and use HFI sensor mode on that motor.

Maybe the hall sensor got wet and junked itself, this is common in my experience.

2 Likes