Motor Issue - Loud screech sound (now a Unity hardware issue? TBD)

unity app doesnt give an option to select foc/bldc i assume it auto detects whether there is sensor input unless Im missing something…

So good news I guess. Check this shit out, so I crack open the case I swapped motor 1 and 2 on the unity input, ran motor detection again and the issue stayed with the motor one pinout. So motor 2 which was the good one started screaming just like the other one did. So we either have a hardware or some kind of firmware issue on that port only. Luckily I had another build I just wrapped up so I pulled the unity out of that really quick because luckily that was a top mount box, thank God for those I guess, plugged that in ran the detection… everything went like butter except for the flux detection that still fails for some reason but here are a couple screen shots as I ran through each detection. I have a video for you guys I’ll post it up tomorrow when I have free. Thanks thoughts?

First pic… Problem unity…motor wires swapped…

New unity… Motor 1 and 2 plugged in properly:

1 Like

I think the problem unity has a similar issue that my original unity had. They had me mail it to Bara to solder a resistor correctly.

My Flux linkages (lambda symbol) were mismatched and followed the unity port.

It’s odd that the new unity still had a hall error. Are you using any cable extensions or adapters?

short answer yes, flipsky extensions…

long answer one motor I had to solder the extensions on cuz they shipped me 1 motor with the sensor wire that are supposed to plug straight into the vesc…great idea if you your front mounted… shitty for rear as u cant use the needed extension wire. IIRC motor 1 has soldered sensor wires…

on the other build where i pulled the new unity, sensor readings were good (TB motors) and since its a top mount box I used ethernet cable as extension wires… flux detection was also fine…

Maow!..feed the cat

remove hall sensors try detection again. Also wtf is with that manual rotation? :rofl: official VESC7 feature?

2 Likes

Do you have why other hall sensor cables you could try? Or can you remove extensions and try?

hmm i dunno if i have any more extensions around…and OE sensor wire from motor wont reach in rear mount =/

Yeah I feel you, disassembly is crazy annoying

Not familiar with the unity tool, but try to increase detection current. Helps sometimes with high inductance motors

In unity app this means spin wheels harder during setup haha

@Venom121212 check.this.shit.out.!
Just had a moment to breathe and really inspect things… This is the OE bullet phase… Enough heat to melt the solder and disconnect… Going to resolder now and see what happens

2 Likes

So first motor detection was fine… Flux failed… Throttle test still left motor 1 accelerating choppy on the bench… Detection 2 with one single good spin of the wheels (yes belts attached) and flux was detected immediately… And now both motors spool smoothly…

Now back to the AT board…with the new(er) unity to try and get flux to.work… And get the sensor issue resolved… (Hopefully)

3 Likes

Great success! Well at least it’s figured out :partying_face:

1 Like

Well almost… Those are the results on problem unity but my street carver set up…

New unity but original board still yield questionable sensor results…but a a single aggresive spin of the wheels made flux work…

So first detection had good sensors on motor 1 and motor which has been in question stays in.question… Its the motor not the unity port… A second Detection gave weird results for both… I was able to attempt with a diff sensor cable on motor 2 with no changes…

Attempt 1

Attempt 2 (sensor less) on motor 2

Attempt 3

Getting interesting right?

This is seriously whack. I’m at a loss now.

ill try again in the am, if i can get motor 1 back to looking normal ill take it lol… as long as this bisch rides smooth ill be ok with some weird results but everything else good right?

Yeah all the values themselves look normal

Did you find a solution for this?

For the sensors no… The vesc side plug got ripped out in my last accident but reconnecting em this week and using a flipsky 6 this time since I fried my unity recently anyways so.we’ll see… The honking sound? Yeah just a loose phase wire connector

1 Like

I can’t see the video. But today my friend installed a unity on his board and the sound the motors make is not know for me. It looks like the motors are much" heavier"then before