Motor Cable Upgrade / Circlip Mod

Wrote this in 2016 on the other Forum…still useful I believe. Updates included

Apparently no one in Europe wants a big ass motor… Emax 5345, in sk3/and enertion motor measure is a 6379, squad used these in a mtb build. any-who i have a week off of work soooo thought I would document some basic upgrades:

adding cir-clips flexy magic silicon wire better insulated wire entry

I have a heat gun, heat-shrink, wire cutters, drill and dremel.

I have two of these beasts so maybe will be repeating the procedure…we will see how she turns out.

The start…motor unchanged

I pulled of the rubber wire insulation and undid the front and rear grub screws holding the axle in place…first marked where i wanted the cir-clip

with some light tapping the motor slid apart. number 2 in background for reference.

took out axle and fit it into my drill chuck to serve as a sort of lathe…used dremel tool spinning opposite and a steady hand…tough but doable…i recommend the lock cutting reinforced disk instead of grinder plate…it is thinner and cuts better, also make sure the shit you grind off isnt spinning up into your face ( safety googles–i used swimming goggles) …im fitting the extra cir-clips that became irrelevant when i put a 15mm pulley on my enertion motors

when you put the axle back in make sure to support the pulley side bearing, otherwise the axle will pop it out as the magnets pull the strator down into the shell. you can adjust the precision of sizing by tapping the axle and adjusting its position with the outer (non pulley side) grub screw which matches up with a ground down flat spot on the axle (~5mm of space to adjust)

aaaand to finish up the wires: the enamel coating shit is terrible does not like wet solder…i tried burning, then sanding and repeatedly…the wet solder just don’t like it.

*Burn and sanding is a must to get them electrons to flow and solder to stick…it was recommend that after a liberal cleaning coating the entire end in solder pool…which if I had I would have done. DO NOT SKIMP HERE SAND AND BURN Multiple times

…if you sand or cut metal around motor always make sure to cover it up… magnets you know…:wink:

Finally heat shrink as low as she will go ( i put two layers on individual wire and two for the group) aaaaaaand set

origin up front updated in back

4 Likes

For removing enamel from motor wire, the old aspirin trick works like a charm. It produces quite potent fumes though, so best performed outside.

You just use real aspirin and burn it with a soldering iron over the motor wires at the ends you want to strip the enamel from. The aspirin turns into liquid and strips the enamel off. Smells like donkey balls though.

3 Likes