Most silent gear drive or other solutions...

Thanks for your reply! Backfire AT hubs are not for pneumatic tires. I would love to try building something with them if they were pneumatic.

I have not tried the KALY helicals, but the straight cuts were for sure not as quite as straight cut 3ds. If you don’t need a lot of speed I would use your 140kv motors and 1:4 helical AT… it’s VEEEEERY quite however with helical the freerol is not as good as straight cuts. The 3Ds straight cut is still pretty quite tho.

Here is an example of free roll on straight cuts

Here is an example on noise level at 53mph free spin on helical finality. Keep in mind the free spin is going to be lounder then it would be while you are riding.

Sleepless is right, direct drive would be the quietest! You can now buy Revel kit drives separately – you’d definitely want 4WD with pneumatics though. Luckily the drives themselves are cheap :slight_smile:

But then you need to find AT hubs with a kegel mounting pattern. Such exist, but are rare. Or you can 3d-print your own adapter :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

My 3ds drives are almost as quiet as my direct drives were. I can sneak up on ya at 40mph on em xD
My direct drives, however, made a more pleasant noise. Kinda like an electronic whale song, while my gear drive is more of a quiet mechanical whirring sound. Direct drive, however, suffers extreme inefficiency due to the 1:1 gearing, when compared to a gear drive.

1 Like

Yeah DDs are for sure the most silent. But you almost need 4wd for AT DD if you plan on having any fun

Are you sure that the gears are the blame for the noise. Those flipsky 63** motors are known for really high frequency pitch noise when pushing around max erpm?

Take a look st this thread.

1 Like

Man, every time this gets posted I’m more and more tempted… That’s really not a bad price at all for 2 DD motors + truck.

3D printing a robust hub adapter wouldn’t be that difficult either…

The revel kit is awesome, but it doesn’t compare in torque to a 6355 belt setup. I’ll be ripping up steep hills, while my girlfriend goes about 5mph at full throttle.

It’s a legit setup if you just want to rip around moderate terrain. I think you would cook the motors pretty fast if you tried to run revel with 160mm AT wheels.

2wd or 4wd revel?

I think 4wd is basically required if going over ~110mm wheels

1 Like

I’m speaking 2wd revel. 4wd revel would probably take care of everything I mentioned in my comment.

You might run into wheelbite issues with some decks if you tried to run AT wheels. Those trucks aren’t that wide. They’re 11", so between 180s (10") and 220s (12.6") . I personally think pneumies look funky on skinny trucks (see BKB duo kit).

Is there anyone making kegel AT wheels? I know janux used to, but I heard they’re not doing business anymore.

2 Likes
3 Likes

@PedroMcJimenez Have you seen the back face of these hubs? From those pics, looks like only every 2nd pin? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yeah, BNs only use 5 pins though :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s what I said. I hadn’t checked out their shop til now, some interesting stuff I guess. Kinda gimmicky tho, particularly the trucks. $400 rkp’s? Because titanium kingpin and Teflon pivot cups?

Kaly beats out finality in terms of noise? Damnnn

@rusins What do you mean by tuning 3dservisas gear drive right for less noise? What has to be done?

Jesus, i feel you when you say you feel bad running around your neighborhood…

Minimal backlash and sufficient grease.

Super beast sells a hub that’s legal pattern

1 Like

Yeah @PedroMcJimenez posted them a couple posts up. But no sense in buying budget DD with Gucci priced hubs

1 Like